Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 BSOD - Bccode a, 124, 1000008e

Last response: in Windows 7
May 25, 2012 5:42:34 PM

I recently purchased a new mobo, heat sink, cpu and ram (details below.) The build went fine and it boots right away, installed Win 7 Home Premium and updated:

Windows
Mobo
Bios
Graphics Card Driver
Sound card

When I try to run certain Steam games it crashes and reboots the whole PC. If I run a game I install off disc it seems to run fine, Witcher 2 ran for a few hours last night and had no issues (ran like a dream.) Some steam games work (Trine1, Hard Reset) while most don't (Homefront, Dead Rising 2 ect.) I've been googling a bit to try and determine the issue, and now have recieved a few BSOD while in Windows, not running a game!

I've received BCode:
a
1000008e

I'm trying to open my minidump files but can't get the right program to do so installed (BSOD last time I tried to install.) Can anyone offer any assistance in this mess? I was hoping for a long weekend of gaming rather than troubleshooting, but of course any build comes with the ups and downs!

New Components:
Gigabyte 970A-UD3 mobo
AMD FX 4 CPU
OCZ 850watt PSU (from previous build)
16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram
Coolermaster 212 Heatsink/fan

I downloaded HWmonitor and all temps seem fine, I'm not OC'ing or pushing anything in the bios. I've removed all 4 sticks of ram and replaced just one and tried each stick individually. Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
May 25, 2012 5:53:19 PM

The bsod error code is incomplete

it supposed to be in this format "0x000008E"

you can download bluescreen view to help you out

m
l
May 25, 2012 5:58:16 PM

Downloading now, will report results. I've had like 15-20 of them in the last day, should I just post a few of each type?
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2012 6:56:06 PM

I updated the BIOS using the Gigabyte bios updated tool. The problem is it's only revision 4 that it self updates to, and checking their page on the 970A-UD3 there isn't a revision 7 out yet. Any ideas? I'm going to post the minidumps in a second!!!

Here is the link to my mobo:
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

The latest version is F5 (mine only autoupdated to F4 though.)

In the AMD KB article:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/STEAMGameson...
It links to a completely different mobo that does have version F7.
m
l
May 25, 2012 7:18:23 PM

Also just as an update - it's BSOD'ing now even when I'm not launching Steam games so I think I have a double wammy here. A real issue as well as the Steam/FX issue.
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:38:15 PM

Update - I upgraded to V5 for the proper mobo and Steam games are working! I haven't received another BSOD yet so I'm cautiously optimistic. Thanks to everyone for the help!
m
l
May 25, 2012 10:36:18 PM

One strange thing to note - in HWmonitor it only shows two cores (#0 and #1) whereas before the bios update it showed 4 total. Should I be concerned about that?
m
l
!