ADSL router with DSL input

theinternetguy

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hello guys,
I have a Siemens SE 515 ADSL router which has a DSL input and LAN output. My problem is that I have an internet connection supplied by my owner which comes as a LAN cable internet. But by mistake I got this router with DSL input, so now I want to know if I buy any RJ45 to RJ11 (DSL) adaptor like this one [1] will it suffice? Or it will never work?
With the internet connection I have, I should be connected to a router which has DHCP server too, so to use internet, I just have to plug the cable into an Ethernet card.
Any suggestions? Or someone has done anything like this earlier?

Thanks.

[1] - http://www.kab24.de/kabel-adapter/?plugin=imgviewer&wkid=817961357405101&img=/artikel/71236.jpg

theinternetguy

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hi,
are u sure it is called patch cord? I hit a quick search, and I mostly found them like extension cables, rather than converters

theinternetguy

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Well mostly important for me is to know if it would work even if I get some patch cord or adaptor. Basically I want to use Wifi. The adaptor image which I have given seems suitable to convert the RJ45 into a RJ11 output (which will then be the input for the router)

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Cables will make no difference. If your internet comes in as a LAN connection it is not DSL so you cannot use a DSL router. Most the cables you see are just to convert the connectors on the cable from rj45 to rj11. These in no way convert the actual signally running over the cable.

If you can have multiple IP addresses on the lan cable provided just plug the wall jack into a LAN port on your router and disable the DHCP. This makes your router into a AP.

If you still need a router function you will have to buy a router that has a ethernet port for its WAN port

theinternetguy

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
If you can have multiple IP addresses on the lan cable provided just plug the wall jack into a LAN port on your router and disable the DHCP. This makes your router into a AP.

Well I don't want a router function, a wireless AP is sufficient. Is this possible without giving any input in the DSL port of the router? Can you please explain how to do this? I have to disable the DHCP and connect the LAN cable from the wall to the router and further what should I do?

theinternetguy

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hey guys,
I did it! Connected the router using the LAN cable to my PC and configured it, and then connected the LAN cable to it and bingo! It works :)
thanks everyone.