prasadk22

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hello,
Can I use 3G dongle with wifi router using USB to RJ 45 converter, if yes please let me know how to config the same...
Also, using same converter; can I convert/share/use my external USB storage device over wifi router...

Router details --Asus RT-N10E Wireless-N150 Router
Dongle details - Huvai EC156
HDD- Segate external usb 1/2 TB (with adapter)

Solution
You will need a specialized router that is designed to use 3g/4g dongles as wan connection. Your best bet is to check out cradlepoint but you will still have to carefully check the list. Since these devices all still need custom drivers and you cannot load them yourself the router must already have support for them built in.

Once you get a router that can work I would suspect they also have a model that will support storage devices.

jsmakkar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hi prasadk22,

Welcome to Forums.

My Views:
You should not be able to use 3G Dongle with your Asus router.
Dongle would use a SIM but your router won't have functionality to get you internet from SIM.

Thanks!!!

prasadk22

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hi jsmakkar,
Thanks for speedy reply :); I just want to check did anyone ever tried this strange idea !
I know chances are less but ! just think/ consider Seagate launched new wifi based hdd, if we can use streaming over wifi their should be a way we can use HDD and dongle to connect and to use over 802.11 based protocol !
any seeding for this idea with observations ... ??

All suggestions are welcome! and i am open for any idea ... :)

You will need a specialized router that is designed to use 3g/4g dongles as wan connection. Your best bet is to check out cradlepoint but you will still have to carefully check the list. Since these devices all still need custom drivers and you cannot load them yourself the router must already have support for them built in.

Once you get a router that can work I would suspect they also have a model that will support storage devices.

Solution

prasadk22

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hi bill001g,
Wow, at list some one is trying to dig into core :) yap it will be compatibility issue for sure with current config which is mentioned.
Other way round can / will it be possible through firmware updates if avl ..

I searched/found 2 more routers which has usb port as follows -
DWR-113 3G Wi-Fi Router
iBall 3G+ Wireless-N Router (Part Number:iB-W3GX150N)
i can check the specifications/ reviews and other things
and some other routers which are having usb slot; can be able to share printers over network...
how they differs? are they hard coded to use with usb devices .. :(

jsmakkar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

Hello again,

Not sure but this link might provide you with some more information.
http://www.netgear.com/3gsupport/dgn2200m/apac/india.aspx

Good luck!!!!