Broadband speed v wi-fi conection speed

silverfox56

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
My UK ISP gives me an actual ADSL Broadband download speed tested at typically 7 mbps.

My Cisco/Linksys WAG160N, N series router modem gives a theoretical speed of 300 mbps and if my wi-fi connected laptop meets certain criteria, the laptop does show that a wifi connection speed of near to 300 mbps.

The criteria is/are that I must use channel 6 of the 2.4ghz frequency band, the device must by close to the router-modem and I must use the Linksys propertary 300mpbs dongle rather than the laptop's internal wi-fi receiver connection. Otherwise the wi-fi connection on my laptop registers, say, 54 mbps.

What I have never understood is any relationship between the 7 mbps broadband speed and the 54 mbps-300 mbps wi-fi connection speed.

Would I be correct in thinking that, as the wi-fi speed is already 7x (or more faster) than the broadband speed, there is absolutely no point, from a speed perspective only, in getting a faster router modem ? Or am I comparing apples with pears ?

skaz

Distinguished
All depends on personal usage, and options available.

This is why I typically recommend people buy routers and modems separately.

Individuals who seek to transfer large files around their local area network would want the highest speed router as possible. Where a person who just wants a simple internet connection with no need of local network transfers should be fine with a slower router.

Modems are typically not a device that needs to be upgraded very often due to the intentionally slow enhancements from internet providers.

So in one way you are right, it just really depends on how you use your network.

You are exactly correct. The only reason to justify higher router speeds would be if you had traffic INSIDE your house that needed it. It is becoming more common for people to stream video from some kinda of video storage box to their TV.

Linksys dongle is not actually proprietary it is running a standard 802.11N. To get 300m you first need both devices to support mimo. Which takes it from 150m to 300m. To get the 150m it is using Wide channels. What this actually means is it is combining what most people look at as channels. So if you say you can use channels 1,6,11 you now must use 1 and 6 or 6 and 11. So in a way it always uses channels 6....but really you can use any 40mhz part it just so happens the total bandwidth is only 60mhz so it always include the central part.

silverfox56

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Thank you for the clarification. I will stick with what I have for now then.

If I buy a new laptop with 5ghz wifi, I guess I will upgrade then.

skaz

Distinguished
5Ghz frequency actually has less range then 2.4, so even then there may not be a reason for you to upgrade. =). Unless of course you needed to stream high bandwidth material to your laptop within an acceptable range.

Good luck mate.

silverfox56

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Skaz,

Thank you, I have given you a "Thumbs Up" vote but I understand teh following: Apparently when I asked my question, this forum default assumed it was a "Discussion" rather than a "Question". Consequently no B.A. button is visible to me in order to select a Best Answer. Please let me know if my understanding is wrong.

I will bear this in mind for the future.

Thanks again.