Your question

Direct X and Networking problem

Tags:
  • Networking
  • Directx
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
March 28, 2002 6:44:56 PM

I've got a problem with my Dialup networking.

I can use it just fine, but it doesn't share correctly. Anyone trying to use the shared connection only gets a little bit of data, then the APP stops recieving data from the internet.

Also, if I start up Direct X, the computer slows down to a crawl untill I turn off my dialup networking. This happens even after I have closed the Direct X app.

Reciently, I also tried updating my network card driver (3Com 905C-TX) from the microsoft update site and it caused the slowdown to happen all the time, even after a clean boot, till I rolled the driver back.

Now, I've downloaded and installed the new 3-com drivers, and I've tried to find a better modem driver, but it's a generic Lucient Winmodem (Phobe I think, haven't found drivers for it).

Is it a driver issue? SHould I just do a complete Windows XP reinstall? Is my computer haunted?

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...

More about : direct networking problem

March 28, 2002 8:45:44 PM

Are you using Lucent driver 8.10, 8.12, 6.00, or 6.04?

Did Weird Al write "It's all about the Pentiums" about me?
March 28, 2002 9:37:55 PM

I'm using the default lucent driver that comes with Windows XP.

I reciently found the modem maker's website, so I'll figure out what my card is from that, and DL their newest driver.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!
Related resources
March 29, 2002 2:54:05 AM

Ok, got the manufacturers drivers for the modem, and now the Direct X issue is fixed. However, I still have problems with the internet connection sharing. Anyone have any clue? I'd rather not have to reinstall the OS.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!
March 29, 2002 12:42:13 PM

Ok. So now I know what was the problem.

I needed to get a correct modem driver, and turn off the Windows Firewall. Apparently you can't set the firewall up while you have internet connection sharing enabled. Suposedly windows won't let you, but mine did.

Hope this helps anyone else who has this problem.

!