Belkin router will not hard reset

dean8020

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Hi all,

I recently rescued an old Belkin 54G router (Model: F5D7632-4) which I planned to use as an extra wireless access point towards the back of my house where I have some dead spots.

I logged in on the Belkin's IP: 192.168.2.1

And went straight to change the IP and put it onto the same subnet as my router.

I changed it to: 192.168.0.1 as I had it in my head my router was .254
My router is 192.168.0.1 so obviously this didn't do much and I couldn't access either device.

I unplugged my network and plugged directly into the Belkin to change to another IP and I cannot access it. The operation times out.

I can access the normal router when I connect back up to the network fine.

To solve this I decided to reset the router.

The instruction manual for the Belkin says a momentary push on the reset will do a quick reset. while >20 seconds will perform a full hard reset.

Both of these are signified by the power light flashing, and the reset is complete when the power light becomes solid again.

Unfortunately no matter how long I hold the reset button for, the light does not even blink and no reset happens.

Obviously this may just be a dodgy reset switch, the router is getting quite old, so I will go in an short the reset pins by hand if I need to, I was just wondering if this is something anyone has solved before, to try and avoid ripping the poor thing apart.

The solution I am looking for is either to reset so I can start again - or obtain access to the router through some other means to change the IP and carry on.

P.S. when I connect the Belkin to my network, the router cannot see it connected to it's Ethernet port. However the Belkin's link light occasionally flickers.

Thanks,
Dean

dean8020

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Hi,

Normally I leave it as DHCP, but yes I forgot to mention I have tried changing the computer back to 192.168.2.x

I cannot gain access on the default 192.168.2.1 with the pc on 192.168.2.x

Also, currently I am connected via the Belkin box

Computer -> Belkin -> Primary Router
Using it as a switch and the Computer see's the network happily.