Two routers, two switches, and a couple of IP cameras

nomidics

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is able to help.

In my office I have a wired and wireless network via a billion bipac 7600n router. I have on this network, 4 pcs, a wireless printer, a IP camera, and a synology NAS device. The NAS device has a application on it which allows me to view and automatically record from my IP camera, and I have set up port forwarding on my router to enable me to see live feeds on my camera, both direct to the camera and via the application on the NAS device, as well as access files on the NAS device.

Separate to this network I have a network switch which connects one of the office PCs to three cash registers, and a kitchen printer.

I am buying a second IP camera which will be getting installed on the outside of a building that is too far away to receive WIFI from the office router but it is quite near one of the cash registers.

Can I:

Connect my office router to the switch that networks my cash registers.
Install a second switch where the cash register near where I want to install my wireless IP camera.
Plug my cash register, and a second router (or access point?) into this second switch.
Connect my 2nd IP camera to this second router.

So, it would basically be 1st router-1st switch- 2nd switch- 2nd router (or access point).
My NAS device connected to 1st router, and the 2nd IP camera connected to the 2nd router.

Is this a valid set up?

The PC in the office that is networked to the cash register via a wired connection, and to the office router via WIFI, would then be connected to the office router wired via the existing switch , and by WIFI directly to the office router. Would this create a conflict?

Also, what problems might I face trying to locate the 2nd camera with the NAS device?

Also, how do I go about setting up port forwarding to enable the 2nd camera to be viewed via the internet.

Lastly, would the second router be broadcasting internet, as that would be handy.

i am not sure if I have written this clearly enough to understand, but any advice would be appreciated!

make sure that the Office network and the cash register network have different IP schemes. (ex. Office 192.168.1.xxx and Register 192.168.5.xxx)

furthermore make sure the register network devices use static IP with out a Gateway IP.

The PC in the office that is networked to the cash register via a wired connection, and to the office router via WIFI, would then be connected to the office router wired via the existing switch , and by WIFI directly to the office router. Would this create a conflict?

as long the wired network card has a static IP and no Gateway IP, it should work.

setting up the network as you described should work just make sure you setup the second router as an AP.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

Also, how do I go about setting up port forwarding to enable the 2nd camera to be viewed via the internet.

you should be able to assign a different IP on the camera itself. Then you set up the port forward in the router to what ever external port (ex. port 81) to internal port the camera uses.

Also, what problems might I face trying to locate the 2nd camera with the NAS device?

you should not since the camera has its own IP

Lastly, would the second router be broadcasting internet, as that would be handy.

short answer is Yes just make sure to secure it