kbut29561847

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
This subject just won't go away, will it?
I've chased back thru this forum for about 12 months and the mobo forum and noted the same message in many posts: Hi density memory will work with some chipsets in some motherboards sometimes. This hi density memory was made cuz it is cheaper to use fewer chips. Both logical statements, BUT....

First, I cannot believe any memory manufacturer would construct a product for which he has not investigated the market. To do otherwise would be like our president constructing a missle shield against which there are no missles (Oh yeah, he is doing that, well nevermind) BUT....

There has to be some motheroards that accept this hi density memory or it would not have been manufacturered.

So does any one know the nomenclature and name of any of these motherboards?

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Are you looking for specific boards that won't accept "Hi- Density" modules?

Or...

Are you asking for something else?

<b><font color=red>Fredi</font color=red> <font color=red>Fredi</font color=red> He's our man! If he can't do it no one can!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bum_JCRules on 01/14/03 11:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
i815 boards should, many VIA chipsets can (such as the KT133 and KT133A, Apollo Pro and Apollo ProII), SiS 735 and newer on SDRAM boards, and Intel P4 SDRAM boards can. Intel BX, ZX, LX, EX, and TX can't. And those last "X" chipsets make up probably 90% of the SDRAM market because they spanned around 5 years of production and were included in most Dell, Gateway, and Hewlett Packard boards of that erra, in fact they were the highest quality PC chipsets available for those 5 years, so they were used extensively by Asus, Abit, Aopen, Epox, Gigabyte, Shuttle, Soyo, etc.

Crucial still sells 256MB and smaller modules with the 16MB chips on them.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>