Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I replace my router with a different one?

Last response: in Networking
January 6, 2013 6:17:15 PM

What's going on everyone, I hope everyone is having a good new year so far. I need help with my network set up. Nothing is wrong with it, it's working fine.
But my question is if I can replace the router I currently have with a different one?

I have AT&T as my ISP, I'm using a Motorola modem and a Cisco router Linksys E100 model which AT&T provided. Will replacing my current router with an ASUS RT-N56U Dual-Band Wireless N600 Gigabit Router interfere, crash, or not work at all?

Thanks for your help!

More about : replace router

Best solution

January 6, 2013 7:13:18 PM

Since you have a separate modem & router setup, any brand of router (without a built-in modem) will work with the AT&T-supplied modem. It's only the modem that has to be AT&T compatible, not the router.
January 7, 2013 12:01:32 AM

phil22 said:
Since you have a separate modem & router setup, any brand of router (without a built-in modem) will work with the AT&T-supplied modem. It's only the modem that has to be AT&T compatible, not the router.

Thanks, wonder why AT&T couldn't say that. They wanted me to purchase the same router (latest model) for 80 dollars. Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2013 12:01:45 AM

Best answer selected by M1ch43l.
m
l
January 8, 2013 5:36:48 AM

"Thanks, wonder why AT&T couldn't say that"

Yes, I wonder why? Couldn't be they don't want you buying from someone else could it?
No, they wouldn't do anything like that!
m
l
!