Sign in with
Your question

I built a portable hard drive

Last response: in Storage
December 18, 2002 3:46:43 PM

Hey all, just a quick question. I built a portable hard drive by buying the enclosure and hard drive seperately and putting it all together. My question is: what jumper settings should I use. I have it set as slave right now, but since it runs through USB, I don't know if that's correct or not. Also, in order for my system to see the drive, I have to shut down, turn the drive on, and power back up. It will not recognize the drive on the fly. Any suggestions?
December 18, 2002 5:30:49 PM

What OS are you using???
December 18, 2002 6:06:53 PM

Windows XP Pro
Related resources
December 18, 2002 7:04:52 PM

Go to device manager, and simply right click anywhere and do "scan for hardware changes"... it should pick up the USB drive... if it doesnt... let me know..
December 18, 2002 9:04:44 PM

Since you only have one drive on that IDE controller it should be set as master.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>
January 4, 2003 3:19:40 AM

Hey, you know, you're right! A USB drive enclosure would have to have an IDE controller and a USB adapter built in. So you could actually mount TWO drives to a USB adapter, in theory! Now you have me thinking about buy a USB 2.0 drive encloser for backup storage...

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
!