Cell phone advice needed

Last response: in Brands
April 4, 2005 2:26:39 AM

First, I realize that the quality of one's cellular reception varies
with the provider, where you live, and the specific cell phone, so
here's specifically what I'd like to do:

I live in Brooklyn and currently have T-Mobile as my provider and a
Motorola T720 flip phone. This combination is wretchedly bad. I
can barely get reception on a first floor apartment near downtown
Brooklyn, where I figured the reception would be halfway decent.

I'm looking to change my plan to Verizon or Cingular in 4 months time
when my commitment to T-Mobile has expired. What I'd like to do is
buy a new phone that gets better reception than my current, horrible
Motorola phone, but also a phone that I can use later if I switch
to Verizon or Cingular. I'm looking to spend about $150 or less on this
new phone.

Any advice?

Thanks,
JB
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 2:44:23 AM

Verizon is CDMA, TMo and Cingular ar GSM (with some Cingular TDMA areas)
and cross platform phones are very rare. That means that if you buy a
VZW phone it will never work with TMo or Cingular and vice versa. If
your GSM phone is unlocked you can move between Cingualr and TMo.
Suggestion: See if your Tmo phone is unlocked - if not TMo will unlock
it for you since you're well into your contract - and then take it to a
Cingular store and try a Cingular prepaid SIM. Use it at home and other
places you frequent and see if the signal strength in those areas is
better.

From:Joe Blow
joseph_blow16@yahoo.com

> First, I realize that the quality of one's cellular reception varies
> with the provider, where you live, and the specific cell phone, so
> here's specifically what I'd like to do:
>
> I live in Brooklyn and currently have T-Mobile as my provider and a
> Motorola T720 flip phone. This combination is wretchedly bad. I
> can barely get reception on a first floor apartment near downtown
> Brooklyn, where I figured the reception would be halfway decent.
>
> I'm looking to change my plan to Verizon or Cingular in 4 months time
> when my commitment to T-Mobile has expired. What I'd like to do is
> buy a new phone that gets better reception than my current, horrible
> Motorola phone, but also a phone that I can use later if I switch
> to Verizon or Cingular. I'm looking to spend about $150 or less on
> this new phone.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks,
> JB
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 9:03:16 AM

I asked this question when I started with T-Mobile because I also get
horrible reception. I was told that Nokia has way better reception
compared to any other cell phone. Of course I'm a Motorola nutt so I
had to get the v300. I get worse reception with my v300 than I did
with my v60c. I was told the new v330 will have better reception.

Anyway, I was told that one of the reps took her Samsung and Nokia up
onto a mountain and the Nokia had kept a great signal while the Samsung
died a long time ago. I'm not a fan of Nokia but they do get good
reception, I must admit.

Don't forget, you always have a trial date and if you don't get
reception where you are, you can always return or back out of your
agreement.

--
sXe Chic
April 15, 2005 10:20:27 PM

Nokia phones due get better reception but are larger and bulkier than
the flip phones. TMobile's service has improved 100% in the last 10
months [I live in Queens] I could not use the phone in my apartment and
now it works beautifully [same phone Samsung e715]. TMobile keeps adding
antenna's. I agree with BruceR's suggestion to get a prepaid sim from
Cingular and give that a try. Stay away from Nextel.

--
Remag1234
April 15, 2005 10:24:18 PM

Joe Blow Wrote:
> First, I realize that the quality of one's cellular reception varies
> with the provider, where you live, and the specific cell phone, so
> here's specifically what I'd like to do:
>
> I live in Brooklyn and currently have T-Mobile as my provider and a
> Motorola T720 flip phone. This combination is wretchedly bad. I
> can barely get reception on a first floor apartment near downtown
> Brooklyn, where I figured the reception would be halfway decent.
>
> I'm looking to change my plan to Verizon or Cingular in 4 months time
> when my commitment to T-Mobile has expired. What I'd like to do is
> buy a new phone that gets better reception than my current, horrible
> Motorola phone, but also a phone that I can use later if I switch
> to Verizon or Cingular. I'm looking to spend about $150 or less on
> this
> new phone.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks,
> JB

Nokia phones due get better reception but are larger and bulkier than
the flip phones. TMobile's service has improved 100% in the last 10
months [I live in Queens] I could not use the phone in my apartment and
now it works beautifully [same phone Samsung e715]. TMobile keeps adding
antenna's. I agree with BruceR's suggestion to get a prepaid sim from
Cingular and give that a try. Stay away from Nextel.
:wiggle:

--
Remag1234