Running 32bit apps on windows pro 64bit

Have some legacy apps that are important. Have a 32bit notebook as well but would want apps on both machines. Was thinking about installing windows 7 or possibly windows windows XP on a vhd. This is new territory for me and seek guidance from an informed member who has addressed such issues.
4 answers Last reply
More about running 32bit apps windows 64bit
  1. You don't need to do anything special just run them. 32 bit software works perfectly fine with 64 bit. You just can't use 16 bit like a 32 bit os can.
  2. XP and 32-bit is dead

32-bit actually came out late 80's/early 90's -- surely your software is newer then that

i jumped to 64 bit as soon as Vista was out, never looked back since
  3. what kind of legacy apps? dos? windows 98 apps?
    If you need XP mode, make sure to the the professional version of windows 7.
    Or you will need to buy a license for XP on vhd.
  4. apache_lives said:
    XP and 32-bit is dead

32-bit actually came out late 80's/early 90's -- surely your software is newer then that

i jumped to 64 bit as soon as Vista was out, never looked back since

Erm, what.

1) just because a software is new does NOT mean that it's x64 - most software coming out is still 32-bit.

2) Just because XP isn't supported doesn't mean it's dead. As to 32-bit being dead as a format, my only possible response is to ask what you're smoking - just because you switched to it doesn't mean it's dead. The majority of prefab computers being sold right now are 32 bit windows 7/8, not 64 bit.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Notebooks Apps Legacy Windows XP Windows 8