Sign in with
Your question

Connect Wireless Antenna directly input Router?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 19, 2012 11:27:27 PM

I am working in a library that has a wi-fi general availability.

My question is how can I use this existing wi-fi as input to a router to make a sub wi-fi for four computers and a wireless printer. Some of my computers may need to be wired into the router.

TIA
November 20, 2012 2:46:52 AM

The signal has to be wired into the wlan port on the router , a wireless router broadcasts the signal and doesn't pick up a wireless signal. You have to get an extender or repeater that will pickup the signal and then you can wire it into the router.
November 20, 2012 1:13:41 PM

inzone,

Thanks for the reply. It provides me with needed information.

PaulWarman
Related resources
November 20, 2012 2:36:45 PM

Your welcome.
November 20, 2012 7:09:50 PM

Buy a Linksys WRT54G (~$40) and load DD-WRT on it. Then configure it to be a client bridge, like this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

This will just give you 4+ wired ports off of one wired connection. You would need another radio (basically a second router) to make your own wifi network off of that connection.

The real question is, why would you want to do this? What is the point of receiving the wireless signal and then re-transmitting it? It's going to create a lot more noise on the 2.4ghz spectrum than is necessary.
November 26, 2012 11:19:05 PM

I wish to thank all those who shared their expertise with me. I have learned a whole bunch of networking in a short period of time. When I went to the site that had the Wi-Fi, I found that the signal strength to the room that we have been assigned made it impossible to use a wireless setup at all.

Thanks again to all that tried to help me.

PaulWarman
!