burner not installing

SKN

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
Hi:
I have an LG 16x10x40 burner. I just installed a MSI 645-E mobo with the SIS 645DX chipset. WinXP isn't able to install the driver for the burner it says. In device manager the burner has an "!" beside it. It does not function. It was working fine on the other ASUS P3 mobo I was using just prior to switching. I've downloaded the SIS IDE updates, I've tried changing between IDE1 and IDE2 controllers, tried slave and master changes and have even hooked it up to my Promise Ultra100 card - still nothing. XP cannot make the burner operational. The BIOS sees the drive on post.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you.

SKN

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
Okay I found the answer to this problem over at www.annoyances.org and it worked! I copied and pasted the answer below. Special thanks to the author of this post! >>>

"Ok guys, here's the solution WITHOUT reintalling Windows :p

I had the same problem when I uninstall CDRWIN 5.
I have a Toshiba CD-RW/DVD SD-R2120 and WinXp was telling me Code 39. I went on Golden
Hawk's web site and I found a link on Microsoft support site.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q270008

Solution :
1 - Open regedit
2 - Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following
registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3 - Reboot

Personnaly, I haven't reboot. I just delete the driver and told WinXp to detect new
devices.

What should we remember of that experience ?

BURNING CD IS BAD ! .... so is CDRWIN 5

My name is Emile Maher and I'm a student. (not)"