Sign in with
Your question

Memory type vs. FSB

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
December 19, 2002 7:15:35 PM

Please excuse me if this has been posted before. I need some clarification on memory. I'm considering purchasing the ASUS A7N8X and Athlon XP 2400. From my understanding (feel free to correct me when i error) the nForce2 chipset supports up to a 333MHz FSB. So I'm assuming since the 2400 has 266MHz FSB that is as fast as the mobo will operate? And the ultimate question to this post is: does the FSB of the processor/mobo limit the operating speed of memory? ie...will PC3200 (400MHz???) operate at the same speed as PC2100 (266MHz???) since the FSB is limited to 266MHz by the CPU? Or are the 2 un-related. I'm only a 5 year-old so answer in kindergarten verbage please!

More about : memory type fsb

December 20, 2002 6:41:52 AM

what are you talking about???
are you saying that asynchronous RAM will not give results any higher than if it were at the synchronous speeds?
and DDR 333 is at 166, so even if what you said were TRUE he'd need DDR 266 (pc2100) to fill his needs
the answer to your question, sir, is that you CAN use whatever ram you want and set the ratio properly
if your fsb is 133, there is something in your bios called an fsb:memory ratio, and if your memory is DDR333 (166x2) then you would set your ratio to 4:5
see how that works?
and wusy please tell me if i've misunderstood your post, i can't believe i haven't...

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>
December 20, 2002 11:10:10 AM

Quote:
the nForce2 chipset supports up to a 333MHz FSB

<b>Officially</b> it supports up to 333MHz FSB. It actually can support faster FSB speeds - future 400MHz FSB Barton Processors for example. It may seem that buying DDR400 memory is a waste because it will run at DDR266 by default when using a 266MHz FSB processor but for the sake of overclocking and future upgrades it would be better to go with DDR400+ memory.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>
Related resources
December 20, 2002 12:18:15 PM

Ok, I think I'm getting the just of what you're saying, but still need some directing. Let's just say for all intensive purposes I will NOT be doing any overclocking. With that in mind, I'd be at a 266 FSB, which I believe we're saying this is really 133x2. In that case, if I set the fsb:memory ratio correctly, would DDR 400 memory operate at it's true capacity? What I'm trying to eliminate is overkill (I'm not going to buy DDR 400 for the sole reason that I will need it someday when I upgrade)...I'm confident that by time I'm ready to upgrade my CPU again, DDR ram will be something you put on your key chain.....so to simply my question, what memory will give the best performance with a 266 FSB? I guess the problem I'm having with all this is that I can't imagine there isn't bottleneck issues, for instance, if your memory is capable of 400MHz, and you're FSB is only 266, won't you only be sending data to the memory at 266MHz and conversely, wouldn't the memory bottleneck trying to send data at a rate of 400MHz across a 266 FSB? Thanks for all the info so far guys, I'm just getting back into this and I'm a bit lost with today's technology.
December 20, 2002 5:55:05 PM

ddr400 will perform better than ddr333 or ddr266 in your computer (in any computer..)
if you get ddr 400 (200x2) then you want your ratio to be 2:3 or 4:6 (133:200)
i'm not an expert on how cpu's work, but just because your fsb is at 266 doesn't mean your cpu is only at that speed, you'll still be doing 2400 Mhz or whatever cpu you said you were getting (i forget..)

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>
December 20, 2002 9:49:49 PM

I understand what you are saying about the processor speed, but, correct me if I'm wrong, the nitty gritty of a 2 GHz processor is that it can process 2 Billion instructions per second. And not all of that calculated data flows out the FSB to the memory. So, how do we know that a 266 FSB based CPU can utilize the full capacity of DDR 400 memory. It still seems like overkill to me, and since I'm not planning on upgrading to a faster processor I don't see the advantage of spending the extra cash. I guess this whole time I've been assuming that the memory only communicates with the CPU, now if it were to receive data from other hardware I can see where DDR 400 can be utilized to capacity, but I'm too stupid to know all that. Does anyone know what hardware communicates directly with RAM? ie, does the GPU or HD's communicate directly with the RAM or is everything filtered thru the CPU first? Man...remember when computers were simple....and they filled up a room the size of a 7-11...
December 21, 2002 5:22:21 AM

i've never heard anything to that effect...where'd you hear that? (i've been seeing you post things that i've never heard of before...where are you gettin your information? i'm definitely willing to say that you are right, but i kinda wanna go on more than just what a person says, especially when comparing it to all previous reading that i've done.) thanks

--------------

!