Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Audio Driver ***Please Read***

Last response: in Windows 8
February 24, 2013 12:02:00 AM

Hello All,

I'm in need of some very specific help with the Realtek HDMI Audio Drivers for the above-listed card. Windows 8 Pro, 64-bit, seems to prefer the windows drivers for HDMI sound over the Realtek R2.70, and every time I try to install the full package R2.70, I lose the sound device completely upon reboot and get thrown into the cycle all over again. It's not the "not plugged in" issue, it just doesn't recognize at all upon boot. I have to uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver a few times and it will magically recognize the audio device again.

As such, what I need is to know exactly which driver file in the R2.70 install download is used for this exact card. If anyone has the HD6950 working as an audio output device, you can simply go into control panel, click on the "Realtek HDMI Audio" (which is the ONLY way i get normal, non-digitized sound from HDMI) in the sound pulldown device tab, and click on "driver details" (or something to that effect) to let me know what files are being used.

***PLEASE NOTE*** If your device identifies as "ATI HDMI Audio Device" or, well, anything other than "Realtek HDMI Audio Device", I can't use your setup. I have no idea why, but only when the specific R2.70 drivers that label it as "Realtek" are installed will the sound work properly. I have lucked up and got the right driver installed a time or two, and it works flawlessly. As soon as the computer gets turned off, or I switch HDMI inputs on my surround sound receiver, it forgets the device completely. I picked up an HDMI Detective in hopes of preventing that part of the process, but can't get the driver installed correctly again to test it.

Thank you very much for any help in advance.
May 16, 2013 11:37:35 PM

What you need to do is this:

Turn off windows update and stop MS's ego.
Roll back your drivers to the on you prefer.
This should stop the other drivers and give you your high quality.
!