Sign in with
Your question

Extending Internet to a Barn

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 20, 2012 7:06:23 AM

Greetings all,
I'm attempting to help my friend extend his internet from his house to his office in a barn. The barn is around 900-1000 feet away from the house, so wireless would more than likely be a lot cheaper than trying to run fiber.
The only wireless networking I've worked with has been basic home wireless router kind, so any advice you all could offer would be much appreciated. Would I be able to slap a wireless extender on the outside of the house and shoot a signal to the barn that his computer could use, or would I be better off putting a receiver/extender on his barn as well?
I've done some browsing around for outdoor extenders and most seem to be 802.11a/b only and run $200+. I'm expecting to have to pay a fair amount for weather-proof gear, but I'd at least like to see 802.11g or n speeds.
a b F Wireless
November 20, 2012 7:31:09 AM

I normally stay away from recommending brands because these posts last forever and may not be valid even a month from now. You don't really want a what is called a repeater you want a bridge with a directional antenna on each end. You are building a point to point microwave circuit. You can use a outdoor bridge and directional antenna but for today I like these devices.

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/airgridm/agmhp_datasheet_...

These can actually do much more than just be a bridge. The new trend is to build the electronics into the antenna itself. I would not try to go 30km like they claim but it should work well at your distance. Depends on the country but these generally sell for about $60 each in the US. You want to mount them as high as you reasonable can and need clear line of site, trees,buildings etc will block the signal.
April 8, 2013 9:32:12 AM

john-b691 said:
I normally stay away from recommending brands because these posts last forever and may not be valid even a month from now. You don't really want a what is called a repeater you want a bridge with a directional antenna on each end. You are building a point to point microwave circuit. You can use a outdoor bridge and directional antenna but for today I like these devices.

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/airgridm/agmhp_datasheet_...

These can actually do much more than just be a bridge. The new trend is to build the electronics into the antenna itself. I would not try to go 30km like they claim but it should work well at your distance. Depends on the country but these generally sell for about $60 each in the US. You want to mount them as high as you reasonable can and need clear line of site, trees,buildings etc will block the signal.

John, I am in a similar situation & would like to get internet at our dairy barn. Will the metal roof be an issue? Currently we are paying for a separate phone line and DSL connection at the barn but would love to go back to just the DSL at the house.
!