V551 & USB?

Last response: in Brands
Share
April 6, 2005 5:21:52 PM

I have seen many references in this group to connecting a V551 to a computer
via USB cable. I can't see anywhere on the phone to plug it in nor can I
find any reference to a USB cable in the manual. Am I missing something?

Fred

More about : v551 usb

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:54:43 PM

In article <3VU4e.1789$9M.1040@lakeread02>, Fred <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have seen many references in this group to connecting a V551 to a computer
>via USB cable. I can't see anywhere on the phone to plug it in nor can I
>find any reference to a USB cable in the manual. Am I missing something?

It plugs into the data connector on the bottom of the phone.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:09:36 AM

Same place the charger plugs in. Cable and software (Mobile Phone Tools)
are available on ebay for low prices.

From:Fred
agunat@yahoo.com

> I have seen many references in this group to connecting a V551 to a
> computer via USB cable. I can't see anywhere on the phone to plug it
> in nor can I find any reference to a USB cable in the manual. Am I
> missing something?
>
> Fred
April 7, 2005 2:14:25 AM

I guess I was sold a bill of goods, but the Cingular salesman who sold me my
V551 led me to believe that there was nothing you could do with a USB
connection to this phone that could not also be done with a Bluetooth
connection.

Is a USB cable also what you would need to be able to use the phone for
faxing? The Motorola site

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Product...

speaks of using the phone as a "modem" to connect to certain ISPs; can it be
a "fax modem" as well? Only USB?

TNX
"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
> Same place the charger plugs in. Cable and software (Mobile Phone Tools)
> are available on ebay for low prices.
>
> From:Fred
> agunat@yahoo.com
>
>> I have seen many references in this group to connecting a V551 to a
>> computer via USB cable. I can't see anywhere on the phone to plug it
>> in nor can I find any reference to a USB cable in the manual. Am I
>> missing something?
>>
>> Fred

April 7, 2005 2:14:26 AM

Your salesman was correct. There is nothing I know of that you can't
do with Bluetooth that you can do with USB. Just two, different ways
to connect to the phone. Mobile Phone Tools lets you connect either
way. Many have found the USB connection to be easier to set up than
Bluetooth. I think it depends a lot on which Bluetooth adapter you
use.

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:14:25 GMT, "Nemo Oudeheis" <nikogo@nigde.net>
wrote:

>I guess I was sold a bill of goods, but the Cingular salesman who sold me my
>V551 led me to believe that there was nothing you could do with a USB
>connection to this phone that could not also be done with a Bluetooth
>connection.
>
>Is a USB cable also what you would need to be able to use the phone for
>faxing? The Motorola site
>
>http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Product...
>
>speaks of using the phone as a "modem" to connect to certain ISPs; can it be
>a "fax modem" as well? Only USB?
>
>TNX
>"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
>> Same place the charger plugs in. Cable and software (Mobile Phone Tools)
>> are available on ebay for low prices.
>>
>> From:Fred
>> agunat@yahoo.com
>>
>>> I have seen many references in this group to connecting a V551 to a
>>> computer via USB cable. I can't see anywhere on the phone to plug it
>>> in nor can I find any reference to a USB cable in the manual. Am I
>>> missing something?
>>>
>>> Fred

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:01:21 AM

In article <hgp851pggg0vdqrptkbfv58pps74jnskbf@4ax.com>,
Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>Your salesman was correct. There is nothing I know of that you can't
>do with Bluetooth that you can do with USB.

Flash new firmware.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:51:22 AM

If you want to get into changing "seems' and things you'll need a cable.
One thing that IS easier with BT is uploading games to the phone.

From:Nemo Oudeheis
nikogo@nigde.net

> I guess I was sold a bill of goods, but the Cingular salesman who
> sold me my V551 led me to believe that there was nothing you could do
> with a USB connection to this phone that could not also be done with
> a Bluetooth connection.
>
> Is a USB cable also what you would need to be able to use the phone
> for faxing? The Motorola site
>
> http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Product...
>
> speaks of using the phone as a "modem" to connect to certain ISPs;
> can it be a "fax modem" as well? Only USB?
>
> TNX
> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
>> Same place the charger plugs in. Cable and software (Mobile Phone
>> Tools) are available on ebay for low prices.
>>
>> From:Fred
>> agunat@yahoo.com
>>
>>> I have seen many references in this group to connecting a V551 to a
>>> computer via USB cable. I can't see anywhere on the phone to plug
>>> it in nor can I find any reference to a USB cable in the manual. Am
>>> I missing something?
>>>
>>> Fred
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:19:41 PM

With BT, you can upload games.

With USB, you are usually reliant on what the MPT software has to offer.

BT can be a pain to install, especially with WinXP SP2

"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
> Same place the charger plugs in. Cable and software (Mobile Phone Tools)
> are available on ebay for low prices.
>
> From:Fred
> agunat@yahoo.com
>
>> I have seen many references in this group to connecting a V551 to a
>> computer via USB cable. I can't see anywhere on the phone to plug it
>> in nor can I find any reference to a USB cable in the manual. Am I
>> missing something?
>>
>> Fred

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 11:55:01 PM

Not if you follow the handy dandy tutorials I posted at:
http://brobin111.blogspot.com

It WAS a pain the first time I did it, but after searching and ferreting
out the tips and tricks scattered all over the place, I wrote up step by
step instructions that others have reported to be quite useful. Hope it
helps.

From:SA
reply@group.com

!