Help - Invalid Page Fault...

G

Just recently one morning when I turned on my computer, during loading, Windows (Win 98) hung and gave me an error that read:

"Explorer has caused an invalid page fault in explorer.exe"

Then it lists various memory addresses. When I press cancel or ok, nothing happens. What I've done is edit the win.ini file to have the Windows shell be progman.exe instead of explorer.exe. Now Windows loads, but it's like I'm running Win 3.1 and some programs don't work. I've gone through the various solutions listed at microsoft.com and from usenet groups and none have worked. These included restoring old registries, booting up only with some drivers. Safe mode does not work either.

So, anyone got any ideas? I don't have the Windows installation disks, by the way. I do have a Windows 98 CD-ROM - that comes with new Dells - it has some drivers and miscellaneous stuff on it.

Specs:
1999 Dell Optiplex GX1
PIII 500
128 SDRAM
Windows 98

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
If your just wanting do a reformat or restore you can run zztop in dos. (can't remember when they started including that feature, so it may not work). Basically there should be a hidden partition on your hard drive that can be accessed through the zztop command and a restore of a dell can be done.

<A HREF="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E6639-84A1-465D-A914-07BDB039E379" target="_new">UD</A>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I always reformated when i started getting crap like that =).

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>