Mic zaps by Cell Phone RF!

Last response: in Home Audio
December 6, 2004 8:38:33 AM

OK, this is weirdness. When some new cell phones ring (with the ringer
muted) they emit an electronic pulse that has been causing a extremely loud
electronic BAZAAAAP! noise in my Sennheiser Lavalier mics. I have been
wondering on occasion lately, "Hey what the hell was that?", and now I have
found that the ridiculous electronic noise is invariably accompanied by a muted
cell phone going off.

So you guys might like to be specific when you ask people to turn their
cells off, some people will just mute them and if they have an offending model
it could screw up a take pretty damn well and leave you wondering what is wrong
with your gear! Doesn't sound anything like mic noise, it's digital pulse buzz
like I might imagine an "E-Bomb" might give off to knock down electronic
communications or something. Could something like that screw up a digital
mixer or interfere with a computer/DAW? Hey maybe that's the nefarious plan,
when all the Samsung cell phone go off at once Dr. Evil takes down all our
communications!

Or something...

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Audioist / Fox News

More about : mic zaps cell phone

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:38:34 AM

"WillStG" <willstg@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> OK, this is weirdness. When some new cell phones ring (with the
ringer
> muted) they emit an electronic pulse that has been causing a extremely
loud
> electronic BAZAAAAP! noise in my Sennheiser Lavalier mics. I have been
> wondering on occasion lately, "Hey what the hell was that?", and now I
have
> found that the ridiculous electronic noise is invariably accompanied by a
muted
> cell phone going off.
>
> So you guys might like to be specific when you ask people to turn
their
> cells off, some people will just mute them and if they have an offending
model
> it could screw up a take pretty damn well and leave you wondering what is
wrong
> with your gear! Doesn't sound anything like mic noise, it's digital pulse
buzz
> like I might imagine an "E-Bomb" might give off to knock down electronic
> communications or something. Could something like that screw up a digital
> mixer or interfere with a computer/DAW? Hey maybe that's the nefarious
plan,
> when all the Samsung cell phone go off at once Dr. Evil takes down all our
> communications!
>
> Or something...
>
> Will Miho
> NY Music & TV Audio Guy
> Audioist / Fox News
> "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits

nothing like running a small motor near a sensitive mic to add to ones
headaches.

makes me wonder is there mght be a market for MU metal jumpsuits.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:38:35 AM

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 01:00:02 -0500, "TimPerry"
<timperry@noaspamadelphia.net> wrote:

>makes me wonder is there mght be a market for MU metal jumpsuits. <snip>

Not too many years ago, ABC actually had all their wire run ducts
coated with mu metal to allay any fears about "electromagnetic
radiation" illnesses! This was at the Talmadge and Prospect studios.
The contractor, a personal friend of mine, laughed all the way to the
bank, but the dunderheaded ABC brass were QUITE serious! Mind you,
the hottest thing in those ducts was 480. LOL!

dB
December 6, 2004 1:17:15 PM

In article <20041206003833.00362.00001502@mb-m17.aol.com> willstg@aol.comnospam writes:

> OK, this is weirdness. When some new cell phones ring (with the ringer
> muted) they emit an electronic pulse that has been causing a extremely loud
> electronic BAZAAAAP! noise in my Sennheiser Lavalier mics. I have been
> wondering on occasion lately, "Hey what the hell was that?", and now I have
> found that the ridiculous electronic noise is invariably accompanied by a muted
> cell phone going off.

Why would anyone wearing (or near) an active mic want to have his cell
phone turned on at all? EMI is worse than ever. Remind people to turn
their phones completely off, or leave them outside the studio with
someone who will answer if it's really that important to not miss a
call.

December 6, 2004 1:40:43 PM

DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 01:00:02 -0500, "TimPerry"
><timperry@noaspamadelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>makes me wonder is there mght be a market for MU metal jumpsuits. <snip>
>
>Not too many years ago, ABC actually had all their wire run ducts
>coated with mu metal to allay any fears about "electromagnetic
>radiation" illnesses! This was at the Talmadge and Prospect studios.
>The contractor, a personal friend of mine, laughed all the way to the
>bank, but the dunderheaded ABC brass were QUITE serious! Mind you,
>the hottest thing in those ducts was 480. LOL!

Given the number of lawsuits out there, this might have been a good idea.
You wouldn't believe some of the bizarre suits out there from folks claiming
damage due to electromagnetic radiation. It's at the point where OSHA has
now made guidelines for RF exposure, in the absence of any actual physical
data. If a few tens of thousands of dollars of overpriced conduit keeps
away a million-dollar lawsuit, it's a good investment even if it really does
nothing.
--scott
December 6, 2004 2:02:04 PM

WillStG <willstg@aol.comnospam> wrote:
> OK, this is weirdness. When some new cell phones ring (with the ringer
>muted) they emit an electronic pulse that has been causing a extremely loud
>electronic BAZAAAAP! noise in my Sennheiser Lavalier mics. I have been
>wondering on occasion lately, "Hey what the hell was that?", and now I have
>found that the ridiculous electronic noise is invariably accompanied by a muted
>cell phone going off.

Not only this, but occasionally cellphones that aren't in use will produce
brief ticking sounds in nearby mikes. They aren't very loud, but they can
also be a real nightmare to track down. I hate the things.
--scott

December 6, 2004 2:40:10 PM

I always know when I'm about to get a call in my car, because I get
that tick-tick-tick bzz oscillation over my car stereo speakers just
before the phone rings.
Briefly,
In my experience, condenser mics with unbalanced or
"impedance-balanced" outputs are all susceptible to cell phone
interference to varying degrees.
Mics with transistor-balanced outputs, i.e. mics that have the Schoeps
CMC3 topology as a common ancestor fare much better than the unbalanced
mics, but will still oscillate if the phone is near (within a foot or
two of) the cable or XLR output of the mic.
Hybrid mics, such as the Schoeps CMC6's reject this interference better
than the discrete balanced mics.
However,
Mics equipped with output transformers that I have tested are
completely immune to this problem.
The offending phones appear to be CDMA and GSM based and the resulting
noise occuring as a result of the carrier signal coupling through the
cable, causing the active circuitry to oscillate.
Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group
877-563-6335
December 6, 2004 3:28:09 PM

"WillStG" <willstg@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> OK, this is weirdness. When some new cell phones ring (with the
ringer
> muted) they emit an electronic pulse that has been causing a extremely
loud
> electronic BAZAAAAP! noise in my Sennheiser Lavalier mics. I have been
> wondering on occasion lately, "Hey what the hell was that?", and now I
have
> found that the ridiculous electronic noise is invariably accompanied by a
muted
> cell phone going off.

I've found in my experience that it's the GSM type cell phones (ATT,
TMobile, etc.) whose frequency somehow gets into audio equipment. CDMA (as
in my Verizon cell phone) doesn't. Perhaps there's a technical explanation
related to the frequencies at which these services operate. I've been
warning people about it for a couple of years now after someone with a cell
phone ruined a take in a session, and this person was in the control room,
not in front of a mic.

Also, I think it doesn't have to do with it being muted. It happens when
it's on and it's ringing or about to, as far as I've seen.

JLRevelo
www.jlrevelo.com
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 3:29:31 PM

WillStG wrote:

> OK, this is weirdness. When some new cell phones ring (with the ringer
> muted) they emit an electronic pulse that has been causing a extremely loud
> electronic BAZAAAAP! noise in my Sennheiser Lavalier mics. I have been
> wondering on occasion lately, "Hey what the hell was that?", and now I have
> found that the ridiculous electronic noise is invariably accompanied by a muted
> cell phone going off.
>
> So you guys might like to be specific when you ask people to turn their
> cells off, some people will just mute them and if they have an offending model
> it could screw up a take pretty damn well and leave you wondering what is wrong
> with your gear! Doesn't sound anything like mic noise, it's digital pulse buzz
> like I might imagine an "E-Bomb" might give off to knock down electronic
> communications or something. Could something like that screw up a digital
> mixer or interfere with a computer/DAW? Hey maybe that's the nefarious plan,
> when all the Samsung cell phone go off at once Dr. Evil takes down all our
> communications!

Maybe a simple explanation of the meaning of *off* would help ?

Graham
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 4:14:23 PM

<< Pooh Bear rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com >><< Maybe a simple
explanation of the meaning of *off* would help ? >>

My point exactly, many people think turning the ringer off is turning the
cell phone off, and if they do that and you're in the middle of a take you
might have a "what the hell was that" moment when unbeknownst to you the muted
phone rings and you hear a loud electronic BAZAAAP come down your mic lines.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Audioist / Fox News
December 6, 2004 4:19:44 PM

Nextels used to be biggest culprits, I guess the technology has migrated into
other mobile phones. We always ask for off, setting for stun is no good
anymore.

Bruno

Bruno Strapko CAS
Strapko Recorders
Schaumburg IL
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:02:30 PM

I've been asking for cell phones to be turned off for all sessions I do for
about 4-5 years now. I can't control the concerts, but I can do the
sessions. BTW, many wired mics also have issues. The Neumann KM 18x series
is particularly sensitive to cellular interference. The early Yamaha
digital consoles are also pretty easily hit.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

"WillStG" <willstg@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> OK, this is weirdness. When some new cell phones ring (with the
> ringer
> muted) they emit an electronic pulse that has been causing a extremely
> loud
> electronic BAZAAAAP! noise in my Sennheiser Lavalier mics. I have been
> wondering on occasion lately, "Hey what the hell was that?", and now I
> have
> found that the ridiculous electronic noise is invariably accompanied by a
> muted
> cell phone going off.
>
> So you guys might like to be specific when you ask people to turn
> their
> cells off, some people will just mute them and if they have an offending
> model
> it could screw up a take pretty damn well and leave you wondering what is
> wrong
> with your gear! Doesn't sound anything like mic noise, it's digital pulse
> buzz
> like I might imagine an "E-Bomb" might give off to knock down electronic
> communications or something. Could something like that screw up a digital
> mixer or interfere with a computer/DAW? Hey maybe that's the nefarious
> plan,
> when all the Samsung cell phone go off at once Dr. Evil takes down all our
> communications!
>
> Or something...
>
> Will Miho
> NY Music & TV Audio Guy
> Audioist / Fox News
> "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 12:09:28 AM

"WillStG" <willstg@aol.comnospam> wrote in message news:20041206003833.00362.00001502@mb-m17.aol.com...
> OK, this is weirdness. When some new cell phones ring (with the ringer
> muted) they emit an electronic pulse that has been causing a extremely loud
> electronic BAZAAAAP! noise in my Sennheiser Lavalier mics. I have been
> wondering on occasion lately, "Hey what the hell was that?", and now I have
> found that the ridiculous electronic noise is invariably accompanied by a muted
> cell phone going off.
>
> So you guys might like to be specific when you ask people to turn their
> cells off, some people will just mute them and if they have an offending model
> it could screw up a take pretty damn well and leave you wondering what is wrong
> with your gear! Doesn't sound anything like mic noise, it's digital pulse buzz
> like I might imagine an "E-Bomb" might give off to knock down electronic
> communications or something. Could something like that screw up a digital
> mixer or interfere with a computer/DAW? Hey maybe that's the nefarious plan,
> when all the Samsung cell phone go off at once Dr. Evil takes down all our
> communications!
>
> Or something...
>
> Will Miho
> NY Music & TV Audio Guy
> Audioist / Fox News
> "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits

I find that it very rarely prints to tracks, and some phones induce noise
into the monitoring system simply when searching for cells or are
otherwise in a totally passive mode... little chirps or a series of tapping
sounds while no calls are incoming or notification messages being rec'd..
They just seem to inherently make noise. My five year old Nokia (on Verizon)
never induces any noise at all... even when ringing.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:

> My five year old Nokia (on Verizon)
> never induces any noise at all... even when ringing.

Verizon is using CDMA over cellular frequencies.

AT&T phones are so predictably buzzy I can tell from the far end of a landline call when the other guy's phone is about to ring.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 12:16:38 AM

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message...

> I find that it very rarely prints to tracks,

You know... I can't remember the last time I had one go off near a mic,
I'm pretty animate about getting them turned off duing tracking. It's
having them laying around the control room where I find they get into
the monitors but generally not onto tracks.

DM
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 12:20:32 AM

> DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net> wrote:
>>On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 01:00:02 -0500, "TimPerry"
>><timperry@noaspamadelphia.net> wrote:
>>
>>>makes me wonder is there mght be a market for MU metal jumpsuits. <snip>
>>
>>Not too many years ago, ABC actually had all their wire run ducts
>>coated with mu metal to allay any fears about "electromagnetic
>>radiation" illnesses! This was at the Talmadge and Prospect studios.
>>The contractor, a personal friend of mine, laughed all the way to the
>>bank, but the dunderheaded ABC brass were QUITE serious! Mind you,
>>the hottest thing in those ducts was 480. LOL!
>
> Given the number of lawsuits out there, this might have been a good idea.
> You wouldn't believe some of the bizarre suits out there from folks
> claiming
> damage due to electromagnetic radiation. It's at the point where OSHA has
> now made guidelines for RF exposure, in the absence of any actual physical
> data. If a few tens of thousands of dollars of overpriced conduit keeps
> away a million-dollar lawsuit, it's a good investment even if it really
> does
> nothing.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, note that the plantiff has spent
20-30x more of his lifetime in private dwellings where all the
power wiring is completely unshielded. I submit that the defendant's
ordinary thin steel conduit is vastly superior in terms of both
electrostatic and electromagnetic shielding to anything the plantif
has in any of the places he had lived during his lifetime.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 12:21:36 AM

<< OK, this is weirdness. When some new cell phones ring (with the ringer
muted) they emit an electronic pulse that has been causing a extremely loud
electronic BAZAAAAP! noise in my Sennheiser Lavalier mics. >>

I have a client who sets his cell phone on the producer's desk. It rings about
4 times per hour, in vibrate mode. I hear it coming through the left channel of
a pair of powered AR monitors on the desk. Fortunately it doesn't get into
anything else.

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 12:58:58 PM

I concur. I have also noticed over the years that the GSM phones are the
culprits. Like you, I find CDMA doesn't usually present the same problems.
The EMF from GSM phones seems to find its way into all kinds of lines. I've
even seen the display on a CRT completely collapse as the GSM cell phone
sitting next to it rings.

What worries me is that even next to some fairly low impedance audio lines,
I've had pretty horrendous noises come buzzing out of my monitors. Even
when the phone is being used on a call (not ringing), the buzz radiates into
even low impedance circuits.

Makes me wonder how bad those things really do fry your brain!

Bill Ruys.

"JL" <jl@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:D 5WdnRdt5vwxCyncRVn-gw@comcast.com...
> "WillStG" <willstg@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
>> OK, this is weirdness. When some new cell phones ring (with the
> ringer
>> muted) they emit an electronic pulse that has been causing a extremely
> loud
>> electronic BAZAAAAP! noise in my Sennheiser Lavalier mics. I have been
>> wondering on occasion lately, "Hey what the hell was that?", and now I
> have
>> found that the ridiculous electronic noise is invariably accompanied by a
> muted
>> cell phone going off.
>
> I've found in my experience that it's the GSM type cell phones (ATT,
> TMobile, etc.) whose frequency somehow gets into audio equipment. CDMA (as
> in my Verizon cell phone) doesn't. Perhaps there's a technical explanation
> related to the frequencies at which these services operate. I've been
> warning people about it for a couple of years now after someone with a
> cell
> phone ruined a take in a session, and this person was in the control room,
> not in front of a mic.
>
> Also, I think it doesn't have to do with it being muted. It happens when
> it's on and it's ringing or about to, as far as I've seen.
>

> JLRevelo
> www.jlrevelo.com

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 1:48:35 PM

DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:20:32 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
><rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>

>>> It's at the point where OSHA has
>>> now made guidelines for RF exposure, in the absence of any actual physical
>>> data. <snip>
>
>Now THAT I agree with, it's been long overdue, and the assertion that
>there's "no physical data" is corporate hogwash. Having worked
>microwave for years, and knowing other fellow microwave techs who
>wound up with cataracts by age 40, as well as leukemia and various
>cancers, I know for a fact that non-ionizing radiation IS dangerous,
>no doubt about it.

Yes, but you're also talking first of all about microwaves, and secondly about
very high levels. Up at that range, tissue heating effects _are_ very well
documented.

I used to know someone who claimed he could hear microwaves... when the radar
system (probably about 1 MW ERP because of the tight beam) was turned on, he
could hear something. Turned out to be tissue heating effects causing his
skull to expand. That's very bad for you.

But the OSHA guidelines also apply to AM broadcast systems too. They are
really quite arbitrary and they don't seem to match very well with anything.
--scott

December 7, 2004 2:20:45 PM

The Dew Line FPS18 radars ran 1.2MW Peak power... average would be
substantially lower. ERP would be 20db or more above that. Definitely a
sea story.... he would have been seriously cooked, and I don't think they
would want to run an extremely expensive transmitter into an improper load.

Rgds:
Eric

> DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net> wrote:

> >Now THAT I agree with, it's been long overdue, and the assertion that
> >there's "no physical data" is corporate hogwash. Having worked
> >microwave for years, and knowing other fellow microwave techs who
> >wound up with cataracts by age 40, as well as leukemia and various
> >cancers, I know for a fact that non-ionizing radiation IS dangerous,
> >no doubt about it.
>
> Yes, but you're also talking first of all about microwaves, and secondly
about
> very high levels. Up at that range, tissue heating effects _are_ very
well
> documented.
>
> I used to know someone who claimed he could hear microwaves... when the
radar
> system (probably about 1 MW ERP because of the tight beam) was turned on,
he
> could hear something. Turned out to be tissue heating effects causing his
> skull to expand. That's very bad for you.
>
> But the OSHA guidelines also apply to AM broadcast systems too. They are
> really quite arbitrary and they don't seem to match very well with
anything.
> --scott

December 7, 2004 4:30:41 PM

Eric K. Weber <eric-nospam@webermusic.com> wrote:
>The Dew Line FPS18 radars ran 1.2MW Peak power... average would be
>substantially lower. ERP would be 20db or more above that. Definitely a
>sea story.... he would have been seriously cooked, and I don't think they
>would want to run an extremely expensive transmitter into an improper load.

No, these weren't DEW line radars... this was in the 1980s at GTRI with
much lower wavelength stuff and much lower power. I've only seen the DEW
system in photographs.
--scott

December 7, 2004 9:50:43 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> If you swallow a cellular phone, you'll probalby just
> get a bad case of indigestion.

At least then the ringing won't be in your ears.

--
ha
Anonymous

WillStG wrote:

> << Pooh Bear rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com >><< Maybe a simple
> explanation of the meaning of *off* would help ? >>
>
> My point exactly, many people think turning the ringer off is turning the
> cell phone off, and if they do that and you're in the middle of a take you
> might have a "what the hell was that" moment when unbeknownst to you the muted
> phone rings and you hear a loud electronic BAZAAAP come down your mic lines.

Just thinking about it, I realised I'd have to navigate several menus to turn off
the ringer. And ppl think that means the same as turning it off ? Astonishing. I
wonder if they do the same when travelling by plane ?

Maybe you should get a Faraday cage and ask them to deposit their cell phones in
there ?

Graham
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 9:39:38 AM

<< kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) >>
<< Yes, but you're also talking first of all about microwaves, and secondly
about
very high levels. Up at that range, tissue heating effects _are_ very well
documented.

I used to know someone who claimed he could hear microwaves... when the radar
system (probably about 1 MW ERP because of the tight beam) was turned on, he
could hear something. Turned out to be tissue heating effects causing his
skull to expand. That's very bad for you. >>

The "Mythbusters" guys on "The Learning Channel" were doing an experiment
on free energy, this week's episode they managed to get all of half a voit of
power from a wire for an antenna in their shop. But maybe in some of those
Microwave locations they could maybe power a couple light bulbs.

I read in some audio book that when they have demolished buildings in New
York City, they have taken pictures of large electrical arcs between girders as
they break in two, lot of potential energy there.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Audioist / Fox News
December 8, 2004 12:00:38 PM

> << kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) >>
> << Yes, but you're also talking first of all about microwaves, and
> secondly
> about
> very high levels. Up at that range, tissue heating effects _are_ very
> well
> documented.
>
> I used to know someone who claimed he could hear microwaves... when the
> radar
> system (probably about 1 MW ERP because of the tight beam) was turned on,
> he
> could hear something. Turned out to be tissue heating effects causing his
> skull to expand. That's very bad for you. >>
>
> The "Mythbusters" guys on "The Learning Channel" were doing an
> experiment
> on free energy, this week's episode they managed to get all of half a voit
> of
> power from a wire for an antenna in their shop. But maybe in some of
> those
> Microwave locations they could maybe power a couple light bulbs.
>
> I read in some audio book that when they have demolished buildings in
> New
> York City, they have taken pictures of large electrical arcs between
> girders as
> they break in two, lot of potential energy there.
>
> Will Miho
> NY Music & TV Audio Guy
> Audioist / Fox News
> "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits

Had a friend that lived in the vicinity of NBC's 50kw AM transmitter out on
Long Island and said that some of the fluorescent lights in his house stayed
lit even with their switch turned off.

George
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 10:49:18 AM

Don't listen to this guy, his name is BOB SCARBOROUGH from Arizona, he
has (5) different usernames on ebay-
DESERTBOB-DESERTBOB1-DESERTBOB2-DESERTBOB3-VOXPOPPER- he runs up
negative feedbacks, then changes to another username

he bought a VHS dub from me, returned it for another one, then left
negative feedback disguised as a neutral

he also bought an alignment tape from me, made a copy for himself, then
returned it for a full refund

now he's following my auctions daily, and dogging my Usenet posts- all
are warned, to BAN ALL HIS USERNAMES FROM YOUR EBAY AUCTIONS
!