shikiramaru

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
hello tom's,

we have a student here at the basement renting our guest room... and he's connected to our internet, the problem is, ever since this guy came in our house our internet always gets slow... ( i know he's downloading something ) and this is happening every Freaking week,,, our Download speed is only 20 mbps and 512kbps upload speed. our ISP is the best in our country, Shaw Canada, i have the MOTOROLA SURF BOARD SB 5102, and my router is linksys cisco E1200, I'm connected through ethernet cable and the rest is over Wi-Fi...
even opening my emails gets so so slow!!

Please help thank you!!!

RealBeast

Titan
Use your router QoS to throttle his bandwidth and prioritize your machines. If it is constant he is probably running a torrent server that is eating up your bandwidth, which would make me a bit uncomfortable -- your name is on the connection, not his.

bdubs85

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
i'm guessing he's connecting through a wireless connection...

Check the settings on your router and see if it has a setting for QOS (quality of service), bandwidth control, or bandwidth throttling. If you don't have that option on your router, check with dd-wrt ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index ) and see if your router is on that list. Flashing firmware can be a bit tricky, if you're not sure you can do it, DON'T!

This router here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215 does have bandwidth control built into it: you can set a limit to, say 10mbps download for certain people only, or set it for everyone and exclude yourself from the limit...there's a few different ways to do that. You can also set up throttling during certain times of the day, etc...

bdubs85

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
i didn't notice you did post your model of router. On their web site, it says:
4. Does the E1200 support wireless Quality of Service (QoS) and Internet Access Priority QoS?
Yes.

Bandwidth control options should be available.

RealBeast

Titan
The E1200 has decent QoS capability, it's under the applications and gaming tab in the configuration pages and can be applied by MAC address (and that will be listed in your DHCP client table), which should fine.

shikiramaru

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

so where can i find that QoS thing on my computer?

shikiramaru

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

how can i do that? tell me if you have extra waste of time...lol

shikiramaru

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

so that router comes with a software that can adjust the bandwidth easier than E1200... you mean like that? i went to cisco website and it gave me a very confusing steps how to limit the bandwidth, if the router you were suggesting is easier i might buy it right away, lol!