Internet Issues: Connected, but not Connecting

seacucumber3000

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Ever since around two weeks ago, my computer has been unable to connect to the internet. It will say its connected (I have checked, it is sending and receiving packets), but whenever I try connected to a website, say google or youtube, it will either simply keep on trying to connect (and never connect) or give me varying error messages. I currently use Chrome, but I tested it and had the same issue on Internet Explorer. To also note, we had just switched over to Comcast DSL, and my computer had issues with the switch (it eventually worked, for about a week, and then this happened). I currently cant access anything other than the insides of my computer right now, as I am doing an Avast Boot-Time scan to see if it has anything to do with a virus or rootkit. Speaking of which, I did a boot-time scan before (but closed it well before it was finished) and said I had two rootkits: Nuke-Nuke and Win-Odysseus. I tried googling those, but to avail. Can anyone identify them for me?

sato112

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
it has nothing to do with your software. something with your router. i suggest turning off your modem for 30 seconds and turning it back on. If that doesn't work, tell your service provider to re-boot your internet system.

seacucumber3000

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
The internet seems to work fine for my sister (who is connected over wifi) and my PS3 which is connected to a different router. I'll try restarting when the scan finished and report my results. Also, do you know anything about those rootkits?

seacucumber3000

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I restored my computer to factory settings (I was going to anyways), but my internet is very, very slow, if not connecting at all. Devices and computers on wireless work fine and fast, as my computer should be. I can't get windows updates for my computer, and I can't do anything regarding the internet. Any suggestions?

mhmontgomery674

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Have your tried resetting your IP stack?

TRENDING THREADS