Sign in with
Your question

Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5518 - Function Key - Turn Wireless on?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 20, 2012 8:11:34 PM

Hi,

i have toshiba satellite C655D-S5518 with windows 7. i remove windows 7 & install windows xp after installing it i install all of it's drivers with the wireless driver also. but i can't turn on the wireless on since the function key not work, i did not find the Toshiba Value Added Package for this laptop on windows xp.

so how can i turn my wifi on? is there any software or driver that can do this in windows xp.

Thanks,
a b F Wireless
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2012 9:49:41 PM

You can try a keyboard driver for an older Toshiba laptop that came with XP, but you are most likely out of luck.
m
l
a b F Wireless
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2012 2:35:00 AM

The function key is the key with the Fn on it in a different color by pressing it once it will activate the keys that have the second color letters on them but you have to make sure that it's pressed only once because if it's pressed again it turns the function off.
You can also try and go into the adaptor settings and enable the adaptor from there.
From the little square tv shapped icon on the bottom task bar right side if you click on it and select open network and sharing center you vcan then on the top left side of the screen select change adaptor settings and then you will see the wireless adaoptor and you can see if it says disabled , then change it to enabled.
m
l
Related resources
November 21, 2012 3:04:06 AM

for the adapter settings it is enabled & not disabled but the wifi is not on. the function key is what it turn it on. is there any alternative way tot turn it on knowing there is no any switch like in most other models to turn it on-off just from the fn + F8 keys.
m
l
a b F Wireless
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2012 3:12:08 AM

If the Fn key is not working then maybe you can try to clean it out.
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:43:08 AM

billoo said:
Hi,

i have toshiba satellite C655D-S5518 with windows 7. i remove windows 7 & install windows xp after installing it i install all of it's drivers with the wireless driver also. but i can't turn on the wireless on since the function key not work, i did not find the Toshiba Value Added Package for this laptop on windows xp.

so how can i turn my wifi on? is there any software or driver that can do this in windows xp.

Thanks,

I have a solution that i found on the net. I had the same problem except, my satellite was brand new, and even when i would use the function keys, nothing would work. So, first disconnect your laptop from power, remove the battery, and press the power up button while holding it down for atleast 30 seconds. i know it sounds weird, but that's what i thought at first, and it worked. Ofcourse while holding down the power button, nothing will come on as there is no power source. after you're done, put the battery back on and connect the laptop to power, then switch on the laptop, your wifi should be working. Although, you should always have the battery atleast half, or connect the laptop to power when using wifi. however, that's how i dealt with it. Hope it helps and works. post back if it does
m
l
!