Otari MX-5050

Last response: in Home Audio
December 6, 2004 8:25:36 AM

Never worked on one before. Quarter track model from about 1975.

Question:

Does this model require a remote or dummy plug in order to function? This
unit has other problems, but I don't want to proceed only to uncover
additional (logic) problems. It has no logic function, even with tape
loaded. The owner is clueless.

Mark Z.

More about : otari 5050

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:25:37 AM

> Does this model require a remote or dummy plug in order to function?

No.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:53:48 AM

William Sommerwerck wrote:
> > Does this model require a remote or dummy plug in order to
function?

> No.

I seem to recall that my (early) MX5050 2T DID require a dummy plug for
the
transport to work. I remember having to go back the guy who sold it to
me
to get it.

Philip Perkins
December 6, 2004 11:53:49 AM

> I seem to recall that my (early) MX5050 2T DID require a dummy
> plug for the transport to work. I remember having to go back the
> guy who sold it to me to get it.

You might be right. I have Q II, and all you had to do was plug in the remote
control. There was no dummy plug or switch.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 4:50:12 PM

In article <10r94cr2jud08d0@corp.supernews.com>,
William Sommerwerck <williams@nwlink.com> wrote:
>> I seem to recall that my (early) MX5050 2T DID require a dummy
>> plug for the transport to work. I remember having to go back the
>> guy who sold it to me to get it.
>
>You might be right. I have Q II, and all you had to do was plug in the remote
>control. There was no dummy plug or switch.

Right. The dummy plug is a thing that you use if you aren't using the
remote control.
--scott
December 6, 2004 7:11:49 PM

I've got one of these. When the transport is not run for a long time, it SEEMS
dead. But if I load the tape correctly and give it a little push, it "wakes up"
the transport, and it works OK until the next period of inactivity.

When it works, it's GREAT. With no NR, a 15ips tape sounds identical to the
original source, almost no noise. With dbx 1 set correctly, it is perfect.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 7:11:50 PM

Blackburst <blackburst@aol.com> wrote:
>I've got one of these. When the transport is not run for a long time, it SEEMS
>dead. But if I load the tape correctly and give it a little push, it "wakes up"
>the transport, and it works OK until the next period of inactivity.

You REALLY need to do the cleaning and lubrication procedure. This is a
sign you have a real gunked up motor.

>When it works, it's GREAT. With no NR, a 15ips tape sounds identical to the
>original source, almost no noise. With dbx 1 set correctly, it is perfect.

I bet you have a whole lot more flutter than you would have if you went
through the annual lubrication procedure detailed in the manual.
--scott
December 7, 2004 2:30:38 AM

I have (2) 5050's that require dummy plugs. One is late 70's, one is mid
80's. Patric

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

> Never worked on one before. Quarter track model from about 1975.
>
> Question:
>
> Does this model require a remote or dummy plug in order to function? This
> unit has other problems, but I don't want to proceed only to uncover
> additional (logic) problems. It has no logic function, even with tape
> loaded. The owner is clueless.
>
> Mark Z.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 5:27:37 PM

Scott:

Thanks for the reply.

I got the MX5050 under odd circumstances. It was a part of the TV studio where
I worked, but never used. I offered $75. for it (!) and it was accepted, over
the protests of the news staff(?).

There was no manual. I've used it a few times, mostly to just test it. But I
tend to use an old Panasonic pro reel-to-reel for most archival work. It works
better and sounds better. And I got IT for $25.!
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 7:33:13 PM

In article <cp29l4$s52$1@panix2.panix.com>,
kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> In article <10r94cr2jud08d0@corp.supernews.com>,
> William Sommerwerck <williams@nwlink.com> wrote:
> >> I seem to recall that my (early) MX5050 2T DID require a dummy
> >> plug for the transport to work. I remember having to go back the
> >> guy who sold it to me to get it.
> >
> >You might be right. I have Q II, and all you had to do was plug in the remote
> >control. There was no dummy plug or switch.
>
> Right. The dummy plug is a thing that you use if you aren't using the
> remote control.
> --scott

does anyone know where to get a belt for an old MX5050? the main
capstan belt is about 18" in circumference
Anonymous
June 7, 2009 7:54:58 PM

Quote:

In article <cp29l4$s52$1@panix2.panix.com>,
kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> In article <10r94cr2jud08d0@corp.supernews.com>,
> William Sommerwerck <williams@nwlink.com> wrote:
> >> I seem to recall that my (early) MX5050 2T DID require a dummy
> >> plug for the transport to work. I remember having to go back the
> >> guy who sold it to me to get it.
> >
> >You might be right. I have Q II, and all you had to do was plug in the remote
> >control. There was no dummy plug or switch.
>
> Right. The dummy plug is a thing that you use if you aren't using the
> remote control.
> --scott

does anyone know where to get a belt for an old MX5050? the main
capstan belt is about 18" in circumference

Hello I have the same problem with my MX5050.
The belt needs to be replaced.
Any idea where to find one ?
Can we just buy from any belt manufacturer ?
Thanks for the hint.
Gilles
!