Dell 2155CDN scan over network

static1120

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hello I have a dell 2155CDN network printer I want to scan files over the network when I scan once it finishes I get a SMB List error and the file does not go trough here is a picture of my settings can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong... Thanks.

szjrww.png

Solution

OK so I think I solved this.

Server address is the PC's computername or IP address.

Share Name is the folder that you shared out from said computername/IP address.

Server Path is the folder within said Share Name.

So...

serveraddress\sharename\serverpath

In MY case, I have a PC acting as a file server. It's computer name is server and IP address is 192.168.1.5. I created a folder under its C: drive named Share and shared it out to...

Teemstro

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013

OK so I think I solved this.

Server address is the PC's computername or IP address.

Share Name is the folder that you shared out from said computername/IP address.

Server Path is the folder within said Share Name.

So...

serveraddress\sharename\serverpath

In MY case, I have a PC acting as a file server. It's computer name is server and IP address is 192.168.1.5. I created a folder under its C: drive named Share and shared it out to Everyone. Within C:\share I created a folder named Scans. SO, my page looks like:

Name: User Scans

Server Type: SMB

Server Address: 192.168.1.5

Share Name: Share

Server Path: Scans

So basically the SMB path is \\192.168.1.5\Share\Scans

In your case, it seems you would have to have created a folder named My scans on your computer and shared it out. So if you do a Start>Run then type in \\192.168.1.148 and hit enter, you should see My scans as one of the folders. The only thing I am unsure of in your case is if you need to create another folder within the My scans folder to complete the Server Path box within the Dell's config page. Perhaps create a folder named Scans within My scans and input Scans into the server path field and give it a go.

Solution

Remo Rackman

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

So, I had my "Scan to Network Computer" working on 3 different Win 7 computers and then (months later) when I need to scan something, Nothing works . . . BUT, I was ONLY trying to use the computer name (as depending on power outages and such, computer IP's on the local network can change (I don't do static)) as the Server Address.

After reading and rereading your solution (and doing everything right (except using a NAMED computer instead of by IP)) I put in my network IP instead of using the computer name and Viola!!! it works again.

So first things first, THANK YOU for a simple and precise solution!
Secondly, Why the heck does it fail when I use the computer name (which is correct and I did try case sensitive and not versions) but works fine when I use the IP ? It used to work (which is why I am so confused.

Anyone?

Thanks again!

Teemstro

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
The only thing I could think of in your situation SINCE it is working by IP address is a DNS issue. What is your environment like(do you have a server, what type of networking equipment ie. router, firewall, etc.) I would go into the config and look at what IP address is controlling DNS if any...When trying to use the hostname instead of IP, make sure you are not putting just the computername and not \\computername

Go into the Prnter Server Settings and check to see what IP is in the DNS box

TRENDING THREADS