Serveral questions about wireless cards n adapters

gummybear_qc

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Well first I tried searching for some reviews about wireless cards, but all i find is some adapters. So are adapters the new thing now or what?

Second, well i have 3 choices for my wireless card, so wich one should i choose? 1.Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 With Bluetooth 4.0
2.Intel® Advanced-N WiFi Link 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology with WiMax and Bluetooth 4.0
3.Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0

Thanks!

First, cards and adapters are like saying cars and automobiles; basically the same thing but different scope. I think the term adapters covers cards and USB dongles.

Now, if you have a Wireless N router that supports MIMO, and you are not close to your router or have walls that interfere with the signal, then the cards would likely perform worst to best in the order you listed them.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
What are you going to put this is. All the parts you listed appear to be designed to go into laptops.

Your key problem no matter the platform is you must have antenna to plug into these cards. Very tough to add antenna to a laptop so it if does not have 3 already you have to rule out the 3x3 mimo. Desktop machines there are better cards that already have external antenna. You have to be very careful about antenna and cables. You want long enough cables so your antenna get good viability outside the case but not so long that they absorb all the gain your antenna.

These cards will not work at all if you do not have antenna. It is common for people to post here saying they get no signal after upgrading and come to find out they did not snap the antennas fully into the card.

For most laptops without the right number of antenna you are going to be better off going with a USB adapter that has the proper number of antenna built in.

gummybear_qc

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Well ita cause im getting a new laptop, and atm my card on my current laptop works but looses connection to the routor from time to time