How much performance is gained from more RAM?

AltKey

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
I'm going to be upgrading to the following system:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Asus A7N8X nForce2
256MB PC2700 DDR (CAS2)
Western Digital 800JB
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

I'm going to continue using Windows Me because, quite frankly, I don't think that XP Home would provide me with a great deal of performance improvements - certainly not $100 worth, anyway. I use my computer primarily for gaming, and there is generally less than a 1% difference in framerates between XP and Me. It's just not worth the extra cash right now.

Windows XP also essentially requires 512Mb of RAM, which is another reason why I certainly won't be spending the extra cash. But what I am wondering is how much 512Mb of similar RAM would improve performance over 256Mb on a Windows Me system. I'm running an Athlon 1.4GHz with 256Mb PC2100 DDR right now, and I have no complaints about Windows's performance. What would the extra cash do for my games? How greatly would it effect load time and overall performance?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

sturm

Splendid
More memory will help if windows is needing to constantly write to the virual memory on the hard drive. As far as load times that depends on the HD speed and also virtual memory. If ur not running anything else in the background when playing games, I doubt u will see a difference using Windows ME. If u do upgrade to XP deffinitly go with at least 512

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
I have a similar system........2000+ XP, Windows ME, 256 MB 2100ddr......I'm thinking about uprading to 512 MB RAM, after I upgrade my video card.

Any other thoughts on the effect of doubling the RAM to 512 in Windows ME?

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>

letdown

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
Probably very little; I'd rather run Xp on 256 than Me on 512.

I honestly think going from Me to XP is the single best investment you can make in your computer, provided you have 256 megs of RAM or greater. But to each his own.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yeah i second that.. I am really happy with XP

i don't know why people HATE on it so much, but i actually like this OS.. and not only for the nifty GUI!

Alot of cool shortcuts in it as well...
now 512 with XP would be pretty cool..

running:
Soyo Dragon+
aXP 2100+
1 GB PC2100
GeForce 4 ti4600 (visionTEK)
2 80gb Maxtor D740x's
xp pro os

This Community is like a Second Family!!

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
I just don't want to give Microsoft any more money than I have to. Besides, with the money saved from not buying XP I could get a nice graphics card instead.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>