kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
O.K. I'm in need of a little education on this one, I want to buy a second WD800JB to run a RAID0 conf.
I already have my OS and software plus all updates installed on first HD, can I do it without loosing all my data, or do I have to start all over again...Sigh...:(

Does this Q. from RAID FAQ apply to me?

<b>4. Can I change my array after I have put data on it?</b>
The stripesize or stripewidth of a level 0 or level 0+1 array can not be changed without rebuilding the array. This will cause all data to be lost. For level 1 and level 0+1 additional mirror drives can added to provide additional data security. This will not cause any data to be lost.

<font color=red><b>We all love disassembling things to see how it works,
but who wants to put it back together again?

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Sorry to say, but it does apply to you. If you were looking to mirror the drives (RAID 1), you wouldn't have a problem. Creating a striped array (RAID 0) will wipe out anything on the drives. Also, if you want to change the stripesize at another time, that will also cause you to start from scratch.

Jarrett

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Yes, exactly.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Thanks for clearing that up, drats, I do not look foward to starting all over again...sigh...:(

<font color=red><b>We all love disassembling things to see how it works,
but who wants to put it back together again?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In this case yes, but not always. My SCSI card does have the ability to expand a RAID0 stripe without losing DATA.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!