Sign in with
Your question

Internet Latency in games peaking very high.

Last response: in Networking
January 8, 2013 6:40:18 AM

Hi, I am not terribly familiar with networks and am having a problem. I play online games (mostly league of legends) and my girlfriend and myself share an internet connection. Our service is Time warner and is 20mb down 2 up. The problem I have is sometimes when she is on the internet, my latency in games will spike from 90ms to somewhere in the 200ms - 500ms range. I do not understand what is causing this. It use to be when she was streaming videos, which I understand, but she can literally be on facebook or doing nothing noteworthy of bandwidth use and it will still spike high. The odd thing is if she signs out of windows and immediately logs back in resuming her activity, it will go back to the steady 90ms for a long time.

I thought I could figure out what the problem is, but I just have no idea. We are both using desktops and wired internet through a netgear router.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
January 8, 2013 5:57:06 PM

Her computer might be infected and is sending out SPAM emails which saturate your outbound connection.
m
l
January 8, 2013 7:23:43 PM

I figured that may be the problem but was not sure. The only protection she has on that comp is windows defender / MSE.

What would be the best program to scan/remove that kind of a virus or whatever it may be.
m
l
January 9, 2013 6:31:56 PM

Try Avast Antivirus along with Spybot Search and Destroy.
m
l
Related resources
!