USpatriot

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
I heard that 10,000 RPM IDE Drives are out now (which now require ATA100). Has anyone heard about these? I think Seagate makes them or something... I dont understand why this isn't standard by now... SCSI drives run at 15K...

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
10k rpm ? I want one.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
That would be great if everyone adopts that. The only downside is that active cooling is then mandatory, which makes keeping the noise level down more difficult.

Mmm, WD Specials @ 10k. That would rock.

Jarrett

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
There are NO 10k rpm IDE drives currently available. Trust me, if there were, i would have one... or possibly two. :smile:

And unfortunately due to economics i cannot see 10k rpm ide drives comming out anytime soon either. Why? Heres why.

A. Additional cost getting the 10k to ide specs (current scsi are OVER engineered and have different spin up/down characteristics)
B. depressed economy
C. releasing 10k ide will eat heavily into their SCSI lineup sales, seriously dmaging profits.
D. the majority of consumers dont need 10k ide yet. We are a far too small minority.
E. cooling required. Many ide drives are bunged into crap cases with poor/no cooling. this needs to be addressed.
F. once one company releases 10k ide, all will, and soon the price will be low and not very profitable, at the same time as killing off their 10k scsi sales of high profit units.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
what the hell did they make all this rush into the Serial ATA sh!T?

i can see if they were releaseing 10k RPM hd's for the SATA connection.. but if they aren't what's the sense.. for better cable'n and air flow?

This Community is like a Second Family!!

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Yup, air flow is important and those nice cables make things tidy and pretty! lol

Dont hold ya breath waiting for SATA either. :wink:

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/viewtopic.php?t=326" target="_new"> Scotty's Toys</A> :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 12/24/02 06:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
serial ata is to get over the problems associated with parallel ata, a very old standard now. longer cables, more flexible cables, easier to connect, better for caseflow, higher cap on data transfer rates.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
okie dokie..

does anyone make Seral Ata HD's... cause on my new system, i wanna use all rounded cables, and use the new serial Cable

This Community is like a Second Family!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
EH? you want to use rounded and serial?
you can use rounded... or serial, but you cant have rounded serial LOL
ok... now im confused.

I belive maxtor makes serial ata drives, and seagate is going to follow soon.