Internet Disconnecting - HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Trev_Lewous

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I'll get to the point. Four main computers; three desktop PC's & an iMac are situated within my home. The problem is when either one of these computers engage in any activity that involves file sharing or an active email client all other computers on the same network disconnect for periods of 10 to 60 seconds.

This is most frustrating as we run a home business from one computer that is heavily dependant on emails & file sharing, which in turn is interrupting the internet connectivity of the remaining computers for large portions of the day.

Help in this matter would be beyond appreciated.

Thank-you.

Trev_Lewous

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Bump; sorry for my lack of response. The issue seemingly resolved itself for small time. It has however returned.

The router in question is a Technicolor TG587n v3 which was provided by our service provider when we were setup with ADSL2+ however many months or years ago. I cannot quite remember. I certainly wouldn't say we've had it for a long time though.

Anyway, the situation is this: Computer A and Computer B operate off the same network, and I operate Computer B in this instance. When Computer A sends an outgoing email to any address the internet on Computer B temporarily experiences limited connectivity. This started about 2 or 3 months ago when we had a large commercial printer installed for business purposes. The IT people seemingly fiddled with internet properties and other settings to enable printer sharing and so forth. Now could it be that their actions have somehow affected the network in some odd way?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll try to remain more active on this thread if replies come in.

Ultracyber

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Have you considered adding a unmanaged switch between your router and pc's? A switch will keep the local area connected even if your internet connection drops. With regards to your internet connection I can re-iterrate the fact that your router might be on its way out. Considering you are using it as a gateway and switch. Remove the load from the switching side by installing a good quality switch preferably netgear products. They are inexpensive and easy to install.

Trev_Lewous

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Thanks for the advice. It has just come to mind that I do infact have another router I can test. I will keep what you've said in mind however. I'll update here when I can.

Thanks again.