help replacing PS fan

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
Hey all,

The fan in my power supply is noisy as hell. I'd like to try and replace it with a new fan. The power supply itself seems to work fine, its a 300w atx unit from pc power and cooling. It seems to have a standard 80mm fan in there. But i'm not sure how i could go about replacing it. There appear to be 2 wires directly connected to the power supply that connects to the fan.

Anyone know where i can pick up a QUIET fan to replace it with? would i just cut and splice the wires? or can they be removed from the actual motor? i'd rather not spend $80 on a new PS just to get a quiet fan.

thanks for any help.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Can solder the wires off the board, or you can cut the wires close to the old fan ...to leave some extra play... and then solder and seal the wires of the new one to that. I like using male/female plugs with fans because it's a lot more simpler to change them next time.

The fan is an average 80mm fan so you can shop around for a silent one, or can make it look freaky with one of those LED fans.

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
any problem with just twisting the wires together? I dont even own a soldering iron. Pc power and cooling sells an 80mm fan thats supposed to be quiet that i was going to order and use. It has a connector on it to connect it to the power supply, like you would connect a HD. I'm guessing i can just clip off that connector?

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/alarmandaccesories/silencerfan/ link to the fan.

i dont really care about anything fancy, i just want some quiet :)

thanks,

Ian

svol

Champion
Twisting the wires together should work if you make sure they can't get loose easily. And yes it is better to remove that connector and connect the fan directly with the wires inside the PSU.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

jamarno

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
Don't just twist the wires together because twists often work loose, and since they have to be covered with insulation anyway you may as well use small wire nuts.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if the wire is long enough, you can just run in outside the power supply and plug it in normaly if your not comfortable splicing the wires. before you take the psu appart, unplug it (obvious but it needs to be said!) and let it sit unplugged over night. this will let the caps discharge.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
yeah you can twist them all you want :) just make sure you tape it up before it touch something and short out. or use that shrinking thing people like

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>