SD card maximum size??

June 2, 2004 7:52:03 AM

Is there a maximum size SD card that will work with a T3? There is a
512mb card on sale for under $100, and I'm considering getting it. Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
Chuck Pearson

--

More about : card maximum size

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 7:52:04 AM

"??" <chuckp90498@aol.com> wrote in message
> Is there a maximum size SD card that will work with a T3? There is a
> 512mb card on sale for under $100, and I'm considering getting it. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck Pearson

$100 ? Where at? I would like to get one two!!

Regards,

-Skon
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 10:29:45 AM

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 03:52:03 GMT, ?? <chuckp90498@aol.com> spewed forth these
words of wisdom:

>Is there a maximum size SD card that will work with a T3? There is a
>512mb card on sale for under $100, and I'm considering getting it. Any
>thoughts?
>
>Thanks,
>Chuck Pearson

Those cards should work fine.

Galley
June 2, 2004 11:17:10 AM

"[]--SkonOfVulcan--[]" <skonofvulcan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"??" <chuckp90498@aol.com> wrote in message
>> 512mb card on sale for under $100, and I'm considering getting it. Any

>$100 ? Where at? I would like to get one two!!

CompUSA

--
William Smith
June 2, 2004 10:57:44 PM

?? <chuckp90498@aol.com> wrote in message news:<010620042252034141%chuckp90498@aol.com>...
> Is there a maximum size SD card that will work with a T3? There is a
> 512mb card on sale for under $100, and I'm considering getting it. Any
> thoughts?

SD card slots can handle an unlimited card size....theoretically.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 12:18:09 AM

> >$100 ? Where at? I would like to get one two!!
>
> CompUSA
>
> --
> William Smith
> ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc. www.compusmiths.com

Thanks!
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 12:29:39 AM

William P.N. Smith aszonygya:
:>$100 ? Where at? I would like to get one two!!
:
:CompUSA

Actually, everywhere [almost]. Haven't you heard of the internet? Search it.
A gazillion "deal-engines". /PaulN
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 12:29:40 AM

"Paul Nevai" <nevai@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message
> William P.N. Smith aszonygya:
> :>$100 ? Where at? I would like to get one two!!
> :
> :CompUSA
>
> Actually, everywhere [almost]. Haven't you heard of the internet? Search
it.
> A gazillion "deal-engines". /PaulN

Best price I found was around $150 for 512MB 60x SD card.
June 3, 2004 6:22:04 AM

On 2 Jun 2004 18:57:44 -0700, Christopher wrote:

> SD card slots can handle an unlimited card size....theoretically.

But can the T3? ie, is it limited to FAT32 formatted cards?
There are already some multi-GB CF cards (not sure if the 4GB's are
selling yet) and SD will catch up soon enough and eventually pass
that boundary. I know this has already been a problem with some
less than recent digital cameras.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 7:40:33 AM

[]--SkonOfVulcan--[] wrote:
>>William P.N. Smith aszonygya:
>>:>$100 ? Where at? I would like to get one two!!

>>:CompUSA

>>Actually, everywhere [almost]. Haven't you heard of the internet? Search it.
>>A gazillion "deal-engines". /PaulN

> Best price I found was around $150 for 512MB 60x SD card.

How many price comparison web sites did you try? I tried just one
(dealtime.com) and found that buy.com is selling a 512MB SD Card
for $94.99 with free shipping.

Or, you can go to frontgate.com ("Outfitting America's Finest Homes"),
and buy a 512MB SD Card there. They suggest that when you buy one,
you "invest in the future of electronics". Oh hey, that sounds like a
good deal for only $399. (After all, it is reduced from $419. And
of course I want to invest in the future of electronics, because that's
probably a real money-making venture.)

- Logan
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 8:57:06 PM

Just make sure you've got the T3 update installed if using a card 256MB or
larger - I've read reports of the unpatched unit permanantly killing such
cards.

"??" <chuckp90498@aol.com> wrote in message
> Is there a maximum size SD card that will work with a T3? There is a
> 512mb card on sale for under $100, and I'm considering getting it. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck Pearson

June 4, 2004 12:52:38 AM

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 03:40:33 GMT, Logan Shaw wrote:
>> Best price I found was around $150 for 512MB 60x SD card.

> How many price comparison web sites did you try? I tried just one
> (dealtime.com) and found that buy.com is selling a 512MB SD Card
> for $94.99 with free shipping.

I found this and noticed it's a SanDisk. At one point SanDisk's SD
cards had abysmal performance on the Palm Tungsten series. Is this
still the case?

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10352352&loc=...

They also have a 512 MB SanDisk Ultra II card which claims to have
faster performance at $138 (no free shipping). Would this have any
advantage when used in a Palm?

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10357874&loc=...

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

On 3 Jun 2004 20:52:38 GMT, Alan Hoyle had this to say...

> On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 03:40:33 GMT, Logan Shaw wrote:
> >> Best price I found was around $150 for 512MB 60x SD card.
>
> > How many price comparison web sites did you try? I tried just one
> > (dealtime.com) and found that buy.com is selling a 512MB SD Card
> > for $94.99 with free shipping.
>
> I found this and noticed it's a SanDisk. At one point SanDisk's SD
> cards had abysmal performance on the Palm Tungsten series. Is this
> still the case?
>
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10352352&loc=...
>
> They also have a 512 MB SanDisk Ultra II card which claims to have
> faster performance at $138 (no free shipping). Would this have any
> advantage when used in a Palm?
>
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10357874&loc=...
>
> -alan

They still use the patented double bit architecture they developed for
all cards 128Mb and larger. They store 2 bits of data in every 1 bit of
storage space, the 128Mb card only has 64Mb of storage space circuitry,
so half the cost.
Write speeds are still as slow as ever. Read speeds are still as slow as
ever, but in real time I don't notice the delay.
I buy 'slow' Sandisk for write once read many tasks, ebooks etext etc.,
and running small to medium sized programs is also almost noticeable.
But writing big files is very noticeable, even with a card
reader/writer.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Alan Hoyle wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 03:40:33 GMT, Logan Shaw wrote:
>
>>>Best price I found was around $150 for 512MB 60x SD card.
>

>>How many price comparison web sites did you try? I tried just one
>>(dealtime.com) and found that buy.com is selling a 512MB SD Card
>>for $94.99 with free shipping.
>

> I found this and noticed it's a SanDisk. At one point SanDisk's SD
> cards had abysmal performance on the Palm Tungsten series.

Well, you can always buy a Kingston brand 512 MB SD Card from
newegg.com for $104, no tax (here in Texas), free shipping.
Or get a Lexar brand one from amazon.com for $115.99 with
free super-saver shipping.

Here is the URL for the price comparison page where I found those:

http://www2.shopping.com/xPP-Flash_Memory--form_factor_...

And the TinyURL version of the URL is:

http://tinyurl.com/2x9hf

I'm not 100% positive that Kingston or Lexar use faster technology
than the SanDisk one, but I've had good luck with Lexar myself.

- Logan
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 5:08:14 AM

> They also have a 512 MB SanDisk Ultra II card which claims to have
> faster performance at $138 (no free shipping). Would this have any
> advantage when used in a Palm?

There is a huge difference in speed on the Palm. I have a 256MB SanDisk SD
regular and a Ultra II of the same size. The ultra II is labeled on some
sites as being 60x. It's definitely worth it to go with the faster speed's
regardless of brand. From what I have been able to figure out the regular
speed ones are around 4MB per sec and the 60x 10MB per sec read and write.
(Not sure if they are referring to mega bytes per sec or mega bits per sec.)
I've seen others labeled 6MB or 8.5MB per sec.

By the way if anyone knows or has seen where to get a good price on 1GB SD
cards please post it. I've done all kinds of searches on google and yahoo
and only come up with just a few and most of them have been overseas and
pricey.

Regards,

-Skon
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 5:31:56 AM

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in

> I'm not 100% positive that Kingston or Lexar use faster technology
> than the SanDisk one, but I've had good luck with Lexar myself.

Neither Kingston nor Lexar manufacture cards. They just sell rebranded cards
from one of the 3 manufacturers - SanDisk, Panasonic, or Toshiba. The Lexar
cards I've bought have all been Panasonic, which IME is very good. Kingston
will likely be either SanDisk or Toshiba. Toshibas seem reliable, but slow
on write, even in a card reader. The one I have (a PNY rebrand) is
considerably slower than my Lexar Panasonic of the same size. I only use it
for storage, not day-to-day use. For everyday use in my Palm, it's the
Panasonic all the time.

--
Regards,

Stan
June 4, 2004 8:19:45 AM

I saw this on buy.com with a price of $94.99. Try this link:

http://www.buy.com/retail/searchresults.asp?querytype=h...
e&dclksa=1

If that doesn't work, go to their website and search for sd, and a
number of cards come up.

Hope this helps,
Chuck Pearson

In article <10bt2kn6pmi5l0a@corp.supernews.com>, []--SkonOfVulcan--[]
<skonofvulcan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Paul Nevai" <nevai@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message
> > William P.N. Smith aszonygya:
> > :>$100 ? Where at? I would like to get one two!!
> > :
> > :CompUSA
> >
> > Actually, everywhere [almost]. Haven't you heard of the internet? Search
> it.
> > A gazillion "deal-engines". /PaulN
>
> Best price I found was around $150 for 512MB 60x SD card.

Anonymous
June 4, 2004 11:57:54 AM

[]--SkonOfVulcan--[] wrote:

> By the way if anyone knows or has seen where to get a good price on 1GB SD
> cards please post it. I've done all kinds of searches on google and yahoo
> and only come up with just a few and most of them have been overseas and
> pricey.

Overseas from where? The US?

I suggest forgetting about searching on yahoo and google for prices.
Go the sites that are dedicated specifically to this purpose, such as
pricescan.com, dealtime.com, mysimon.com, shopping.com, shopper.com,
or pricegrabber.com. (You can also check pricewatch.com, but it tends
to sometimes have inaccurate listings or list dealers you can't
necessarily trust, etc.)

Here are some good links to search results for 1 GB SD Cards:

http://www.streetprices.com/Electronics/Digital_Cameras...

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php?page_id=1...

http://www.shopping.com/xPP-Flash_Memory--form_factor_s...

Hope that helps.

- Logan
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 2:25:04 PM

I don't like to support these sites in protest against their aggressive
search-engine tactics. The amount of "kelkoo compare prices!" hits I have
to trawl through every time I use google is very tiring.

Google should add an optional "-kelkoo -compare -prices" switch to their
searches by default!

--
Pokemon Box ebay auction
http://tinyurl.com/yw9er

On 4 Jun 2004 10:25:04 GMT, Toby Newman wrote:

> Google should add an optional "-kelkoo -compare -prices" switch to their
> searches by default!

They have that. See http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html
from which the following was snipped:

> " - " Searches
>
> Sometimes what you're searching for has more than one meaning; "bass"
> can refer to fishing or music. You can exclude a word from your search by
> putting a minus sign ("-") immediately in front of the term you want to
> avoid. (Be sure to include a space before the minus sign.)
>
> For example, to find web pages about bass that do not contain the word
> "music", type:
>
> bass -music
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 7:56:56 PM

In article <10bquncjeurnd6a@corp.supernews.com>, "[]--SkonOfVulcan--[]" <skonofvulcan@hotmail.com> writes:

> "??" <chuckp90498@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a maximum size SD card that will work with a T3? There is a
>> 512mb card on sale for under $100, and I'm considering getting it. Any
>> thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chuck Pearson
>

> $100 ? Where at? I would like to get one two!!

www.pricewatch.com lists several sources for under $100

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

June 4, 2004 10:26:53 PM

Toby Newman wrote:

> I don't like to support these sites in protest against their aggressive
> search-engine tactics. The amount of "kelkoo compare prices!" hits I have
> to trawl through every time I use google is very tiring.

Are dealtime, mysimon, pricescan, etc. related to kelkoo? I thought
there were several different independent ones. So why not just
boycott kelkoo?

- Logan
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 11:39:17 AM

# Logan Shaw

> Toby Newman wrote:
>
>> I don't like to support these sites in protest against their
>> aggressive search-engine tactics. The amount of "kelkoo compare
>> prices!" hits I have to trawl through every time I use google is very
>> tiring.
>
> Are dealtime, mysimon, pricescan, etc. related to kelkoo? I thought
> there were several different independent ones. So why not just
> boycott kelkoo?
>
> - Logan

I was using Kelkoo as an example of all the search-engine abusing
pricematching sites.

Off the top of my head, as an example, try searching for
sony vaio buy
on google.

You get links to a bunch of "Compare Prices and Leave E-pinions" type
sites like gizmodo, bizrate, shopgenie and naturally, kelkoo. It's as if
they have generated www.kelkoo.com/every_productname_ever in the hope of
getting hits from search engines.

--
Pokemon Box ebay auction