Fisher Speakers

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
December 7, 2004 7:15:05 AM

Hey there everyone! I've inherited some older Fisher ST-510 speakers and I
can't find any information on them online. They sound good to me, but
are/were Fisher speakers of generally good quality? Of course if anyone had
any specs, that'd be greatly appreciated...

thanks
Jason

More about : fisher speakers

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:15:06 AM

Fisher Speakers

Group: rec.audio.pro Date: Tue, Dec 7, 2004, 4:15am (EST+5) From:
witka@telusplanet.net (Jason)
Hey there everyone! I've inherited some older Fisher ST-510 speakers and
I can't find any information on them online. They sound good to me, but
are/were Fisher speakers of generally good quality? Of course if anyone
had any specs, that'd be greatly appreciated...
thanks
Jason <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

what does it matter what the specs are? If they sound good to you that's
all that counts.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 10:48:10 AM

My recollection of Fisher was that they were not considered audiophile
quality but were generally much better than the department store cheapos
of the same vintage.

Jason wrote:
> Hey there everyone! I've inherited some older Fisher ST-510 speakers and I
> can't find any information on them online. They sound good to me, but
> are/were Fisher speakers of generally good quality? Of course if anyone had
> any specs, that'd be greatly appreciated...
December 7, 2004 10:48:11 AM

My recollection of Fisher speakers is that they really can't be considered
"hi-fi" at all. Just big boxes with junk drivers and capacitor "crossovers."
Tended to get shorted woofers, which sit directly across the amp output,
shorting the amp channel to ground.

Ick.

Mark Z.

"Greg Taylor" <gtaylor@umd.umich.edu> wrote in message
> My recollection of Fisher was that they were not considered audiophile
> quality but were generally much better than the department store cheapos
> of the same vintage.
>
> Jason wrote:
>> Hey there everyone! I've inherited some older Fisher ST-510 speakers and
>> can't find any information on them online. They sound good to me, but
>> are/were Fisher speakers of generally good quality? Of course if anyone
>> had
>> any specs, that'd be greatly appreciated...
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 1:52:37 PM

In article <31lo48F3bto84U1@individual.net>,
Mark D. Zacharias <mzacharias@yis.us> wrote:
>My recollection of Fisher speakers is that they really can't be considered
>"hi-fi" at all. Just big boxes with junk drivers and capacitor "crossovers."
>Tended to get shorted woofers, which sit directly across the amp output,
>shorting the amp channel to ground.

This is basically what happened after Avery Fisher sold the store to the
Japanese. Speakers that predate that era are a big step up (like everything
else).

Fisher was a high-end American manufacturer. In the early 1970s, they sold
out to a company that basically wanted the name to put on imported junk.
Much like the "Bell and Howell" and "Keystone" cameras that you see today.
The name was worth more than the rest of the company.

That said, Avery made a couple losers too, like the 700T receiver that was
full of Fairchild transistors with manufacturing defects.

I don't know those particular speakers, but I have the full set of Fisher
manuals from 1970 or so around here somewhere and I will go look.
--scott

December 8, 2004 4:03:11 AM

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:54:24 -0800, DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net>
wrote:

>...and the US continues to go to a very hot place in a handbasket....

True. But not because of selling out hi-fi brand names.

December 8, 2004 4:03:12 AM

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:03:11 +0000, Laurence Payne
<l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:54:24 -0800, DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net>
>wrote:
>
>>...and the US continues to go to a very hot place in a handbasket....
>
>True. But not because of selling out hi-fi brand names. <snip>

True, but it's a symptom of a much more pervasive, destructive
malaise.

dB
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 4:35:41 PM

In article <cp5nsk$ddc$1@panix2.panix.com>,
kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> I might add that Avery is happy and comfortable and still doing some
> considerable philanthropy with the money that he got from selling the name.

Certainly his name is attached to several worthy music-related causes.
The IEEE item here, however, says he passed on in '94, which seems
reasonable for someone born in '06.:

http://www.ieee-virtual-museum.org/collection/people.ph...
&lid=1

Or use

http://tinyurl.com/6f5so

if that doesn't work.

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/ | http://onezeromusic.com/

Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com> wrote:
>In article <cp5nsk$ddc$1@panix2.panix.com>,
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> I might add that Avery is happy and comfortable and still doing some
>> considerable philanthropy with the money that he got from selling the name.
>
>Certainly his name is attached to several worthy music-related causes.
>The IEEE item here, however, says he passed on in '94, which seems
>reasonable for someone born in '06.:
>
>http://www.ieee-virtual-museum.org/collection/people.ph...
>&lid=1

That's really depressing. THAT makes me feel old, because I saw him at an
AES show not very long ago.....
--scott

December 8, 2004 5:12:21 PM

On 8 Dec 2004 14:12:20 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>That's really depressing. THAT makes me feel old, because I saw him at an
>AES show not very long ago..... <snip>

Same with Paul Klipsch. He was a LOT of fun at AES conventions! He'd
really make those "acoustic suspension" frauders squirm just by using
some facts and logic. I still have a nice collection of his
"Bullshit" buttons.

dB
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 3:07:20 AM

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:32:13 -0800, DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net>
wrote:

>Same with Paul Klipsch. He was a LOT of fun at AES conventions! He'd
>really make those "acoustic suspension" frauders squirm just by using
>some facts and logic. I still have a nice collection of his
>"Bullshit" buttons.

My last one was stolen, but I do have a "Stolen from Paul Klipsch"
coffee mug that I personally stole from him.

Chris Hornbeck
"Shi mian mai fu"
Anonymous
February 14, 2009 9:30:14 PM

I have a pair of Studio Standard st-845 3-way 15's but the 15's have long been replace. The paper cone fell apart but took it to a repair shop and had them replaced( with new 15's dont know the brand). These are 150watts and i love them they sound great. I too have not been able to find much info on them but to me i will not get rid of them for nothing. The original 15's were white but the new ones are black. looks and sound great. JJ INDIANA.
August 7, 2010 3:27:55 AM

I bought a pair of Fisher XP-18s in Germany in 1968. They are still going strong today!!!
Bob
!