Best ProTools Plugins for Mac OS X?

Last response: in Home Audio
December 7, 2004 2:12:54 AM

Can anyone suggest their preference for best plugins for Protools for
use on a Mac G5 (Dual 2.5GHz) running OS 10.3.6 and Protools 6.7?

I'm especially interested in useful plugins for vocal effects. (I've
already got Antares Auto-Tune and Mic Mod).

I worked with Waves a few years back and seemed to like what I heard...
are they still a contender?

Thanks in advance.

More about : protools plugins mac

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 10:52:05 AM

In article <1102403574.840360.188500@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
mrwizzer@comcast.net wrote:

> Can anyone suggest their preference for best plugins for Protools for
> use on a Mac G5 (Dual 2.5GHz) running OS 10.3.6 and Protools 6.7?
>
> I'm especially interested in useful plugins for vocal effects. (I've
> already got Antares Auto-Tune and Mic Mod).
>
> I worked with Waves a few years back and seemed to like what I heard...
> are they still a contender?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Check out Universal Audio and McDSP as well as Waves.

-Jay
December 7, 2004 12:09:26 PM

Thanks gents,

I should have mentioned, btw, that I'm running Protools Le, and not a
TDM version.
December 7, 2004 12:26:46 PM

In article <1102439366.947228.281420@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
mrwizzer@comcast.net wrote:

> Thanks gents,
>
> I should have mentioned, btw, that I'm running Protools Le, and not a
> TDM version.

That does make a difference. The Universal Audio plug-ins that run on the UAD-1
card are usable with ProTools LE via a VST to RTAS adapter program.

"RTAS: Supported via special UAD-1 version of FXpansion's VST to RTAS Adapter."

-Jay
December 7, 2004 6:52:27 PM

<< Can anyone suggest their preference for best plugins for Protools for
use on a Mac G5 (Dual 2.5GHz) running OS 10.3.6 and Protools 6.7?

I'm especially interested in useful plugins for vocal effects. (I've
already got Antares Auto-Tune and Mic Mod).

I worked with Waves a few years back and seemed to like what I heard...
are they still a contender?

You betcha. I just wrote a rave review of their TDM Platinum Bundle for Pro
Audio Review magazine. The first part is in the current (November) issue and
part 2 will be in the December issue, due out in a few days.

Their stuff is expensive, as are most high end plugins, but very well worth it.
IMHO no plugin maker comes close to Waves' overall product line.

Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 12:27:43 AM

<< I should have mentioned, btw, that I'm running Protools Le, and not a
TDM version >>

There are RTAS versions of the Waves plugins that work with PTLE, and they're
just as good sounding as the TDM versions. They also cost a lot less.

Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 1:03:31 AM

http://www.ursplugins.com/

Rail
--
Recording Engineer/Software Developer
Rail Jon Rogut Software

<mrwizzer@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest their preference for best plugins for Protools for
> use on a Mac G5 (Dual 2.5GHz) running OS 10.3.6 and Protools 6.7?
>
> I'm especially interested in useful plugins for vocal effects. (I've
> already got Antares Auto-Tune and Mic Mod).
>
> I worked with Waves a few years back and seemed to like what I heard...
> are they still a contender?
>
> Thanks in advance.

December 8, 2004 11:23:42 AM

In article <TMptd.4401$0r.2661@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Rail
Jon Rogut <railro@earthlink.net> wrote:

> http://www.ursplugins.com/
>
> Rail
> --
> Recording Engineer/Software Developer
> Rail Jon Rogut Software
> http://www.railjonrogut.com
> mailto:rail@railjonrogut.com

Hi Rail. Which of their plugs really move ya?

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 1:38:55 PM

you might want to check out the sony oxford plugins, the eq and the
inflator are great.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:03:49 AM

<< you might want to check out the sony oxford plugins, the eq and the
inflator are great. >>

Ditto on the EQ. I'm using it as I write this. It's the only EQ plugin I
really like. The low end is fantastic.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:03:50 AM

Fletcher always spoke highly (Or at least not negatively) of the Bomb
Factory Pultec plug-ins. I used them recently and thought they were
useable. I couldn't compare them to the hardware versions as I have
little exposure to them but the plug-ins work well.

cheer

garrett

On 2004-12-08 13:03:49 -0800, eganmedia@aol.com (EganMedia) said:

> << you might want to check out the sony oxford plugins, the eq and the
> inflator are great. >>

> Ditto on the EQ. I'm using it as I write this. It's the only EQ plugin I
> really like. The low end is fantastic.
>

> Joe Egan
> EMP
> Colchester, VT
> www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 1:08:57 AM

Cranesong Phoenix.

-R
December 9, 2004 9:33:18 AM

In article <2004120814284575249%@news.speakeasy.net>, Garrett Cox wrote:

> Fletcher always spoke highly (Or at least not negatively) of the Bomb
> Factory Pultec plug-ins. I used them recently and thought they were
> useable. I couldn't compare them to the hardware versions as I have
> little exposure to them but the plug-ins work well.
>

> cheer
>

> garrett

My facility has done a number of one day Recording Seminars, some with
Fletcher as one of the guest speakers.

For one of them we spent a Saturday afternoon just on compression.
Fletcher was not the least bit positive or for that matter interested
in Bomb Factory's or anyone else's software compressor plugs that day.

I've got some BF TDM plugs - they came for free with Protools hardware
- and I never use them.

I'd also like to mention that we have tentatively scheduled another
Celebration Recording Seminar for the last Saturday in February. This
one is entitled "Songwriting, Producing & Engineering", and will again
have have Fletcher, along with a fellow with national song writing
credits as guests, with me as the host. Will post more info here within
the next week.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island