My Mac wifi beats my thinkpad wifi

markholland

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
This is really driving me crazy and I couldn't think of a better title.

The case is at University where it's to be expected that signal can be spotty and a high number of users can cause problems but the following is my experience over the last year.

I have a white Macbook early 2009 running 10.8.2 and a Thinkpad edge e525 running win 8 and bodhi(ubuntu derivative).

When I bring my macbook to class I instantly get a connection and keep it for the whole day, in utorrent I get 4MBps down and seed at 8MBps.

Now when I bring my thinkpad and boot into windows 8 it can take a good 10 minutes of attempts to get a connection(It will "connect" but no internet connection)and sometimes I even have to delete the connection and set it up again. Once it's connected I get 10KBps down and about 100KBps up in utorrent. Exactly the same situation in linux if not worse as it disconnects quite often.

Is this a bad wifi card on my pc? Bad drivers? Bad antenna in the thinkpad?

Is there anything that can be done?

markholland

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Well I thought this might have had a simple answer in upgrading my wifi card or something which I wouldn't mind as the integrated bluetooth in the one I have sucks and I'm forced to use a usb bluetooth adapter. So upgrading to a better wifi card with integrated bluetooth would fix 2 problems.