Sign in with
Your question

Internet Speed

Last response: in Networking
January 8, 2013 11:53:18 PM

Hello,
I have a desktop and laptop here, the desktop being mine custom built wireless and all, and my buddies desktop.

The issue that I'm having is that my desktop, regardless of wired or wireless gets 25 mbps down speed, and the laptop gets only 2.5 mbps down speed wired or wireless.
The laptop is an ASUS X83V running Vista 64, a

I would like a solution, can anyone help?

More about : internet speed

January 9, 2013 3:48:34 PM

Are you sure your not just mis-interpreting megabits and megabytes

2.5 megabytes per second (+/- IP protocol packet overhead) is equivalent to 25 megabits per second.

Remember eight bits to the byte + 10% or so for the protocol overhead.

Given that both wired and wireless works, I can't think of anything else this could be, unless its some wierd NIC driver issue on the laptop.

Best way to test is to download a large file from somewhere on both machines at the same time. All things being equal, they should both finish the download at approx. the same time.

Good luck.
January 9, 2013 3:52:41 PM

Thanks for the reply, but no, that doesn't work...I've already tried that
Related resources
January 9, 2013 3:54:48 PM

I was able to get 7.5 Mbps down speed a few minutes ago over wireless.....but still not up to par, since I can get 25 on my desktop
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 9, 2013 5:25:25 PM

Wireless, being single-duplex, will always be significantly slower than a wired connection. As indicated above, be sure you are using the correct units of measure. Small 'b' (bits) does not equal big 'B' (bytes).
!