Excessive handling noise in SM-57?

Last response: in Home Audio
December 7, 2004 3:18:48 PM

I picked up an SM-57 at a garage sale and after plugging it in, it has
excessive handling noise, compared to a good one. It's an older Unidyne
III model. The signal sounds fine and I disassembled it and couldn't
find anything obvious wrong with it.

Any hints or quick fixes, or do I just chalk it up to caveat emptor?
Thanks in Advance,

Mark
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:34:18 PM

"Mark Gifford" <pomona1@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> I picked up an SM-57 at a garage sale and after plugging it in, it has
> excessive handling noise, compared to a good one. It's an older
> Unidyne III model. The signal sounds fine and I disassembled it and
> couldn't find anything obvious wrong with it.
>
> Any hints or quick fixes, or do I just chalk it up to caveat emptor?
> Thanks in Advance,

Let's put it this way. I inherited a church system that was wall-to-wall
SM57s. Handling noise was one big reason why they were replaced with CAD
95s.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 12:21:14 AM

On 7 Dec 2004 12:18:48 -0800, Mark Gifford <pomona1@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> I picked up an SM-57 at a garage sale and after plugging it in, it has
> excessive handling noise, compared to a good one. It's an older Unidyne
> III model. The signal sounds fine and I disassembled it and couldn't
> find anything obvious wrong with it.
>
> Any hints or quick fixes, or do I just chalk it up to caveat emptor?
> Thanks in Advance,

Does the capsule removed from the body still have the handling noise?
See if perhaps the RTV hasn't tried out and become ineffective at
limiting noise.

Capsule? I don't think there are any parts that you can get at without
trashing the thing, but I may simply be misremembering.
December 8, 2004 2:09:45 AM

U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles wrote:
> On 7 Dec 2004 12:18:48 -0800, Mark Gifford <pomona1@frontiernet.net>
wrote:
> > I picked up an SM-57 at a garage sale and after plugging it in, it
has
> > excessive handling noise, compared to a good one. It's an older
Unidyne
> > III model. The signal sounds fine and I disassembled it and
couldn't
> > find anything obvious wrong with it.
> >
> > Any hints or quick fixes, or do I just chalk it up to caveat
emptor?
> > Thanks in Advance,
> >

> Does the capsule removed from the body still have the handling noise?
> See if perhaps the RTV hasn't tried out and become ineffective at
> limiting noise.
>
> Capsule? I don't think there are any parts that you can get at
without
> trashing the thing, but I may simply be misremembering.

Yup, the capsule itself is noisy - rubbery stuff is fine.
Thanks for the replY!

Mark
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 2:12:26 AM

This is WAY out of control - easily 2-3X a normal SM-57. I had 5 57s up
for a live show, including this one, and couldn't even walk on the
stage w/o very loud rumbling. Forget about it when I tried to adjust
the stand!

Guess I could make a lamp out of it...

Mark
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 2:40:06 AM

On 7 Dec 2004 23:12:26 -0800, "Mark Gifford" <pomona1@frontiernet.net>
wrote:

>Guess I could make a lamp out of it... <snip>

Good recycling for old 57s: alternative hammer in tool box. Also a
good alternative use for active 57s and 58s.

dB
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 10:31:59 AM

yeah, a very noisy one.... ~~8^)>---

>Guess I could make a lamp out of it...
>
>Mark

Jeff Snider

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.
---- Woody Allen
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 12:37:12 PM

In article <1102489785.110686.295050@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> pomona1@frontiernet.net writes:

> Yup, the capsule itself is noisy - rubbery stuff is fine.

Send it back to Shure for repair. Use your own name, not a studio or
company name and it will be cheaper (at least that's the way it used
to be). Repairs on those mics are worth it if you consider the mic
worth having in your closet at all.