Silicon Image Ultra DMA 133

redalet

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Has Anyone had any experience with this card? I am thinking of getting one and I was wondering why they are so cheap as compared to other raid controller cards.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
I haven't used one but know a little about them... It's just that Silicone Image is a cheaper brand who produce other oem hardware as well. Depending on your budget and requirements, I would only suggest this card if you're looking for a cheap solution and are in need now, while being willing to upgrade later, otherwise I would suggest a PROMISE Raid card or an Adaptec, which will run you a little less than the Promise withought compromising any quality.. I mean, unless you can simply upgrade your motherboard which is ideal.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well, I wouldn't say its that big of a decrease in performance, since its simply a RAID contoller nonetheless (though check speeds in comparison... what is the transfer rate supported on that Silicon card?). But the quality of the parts in comparison is noticeable; and chances are the software and ease of installation too. Otherwise, its a pretty basic piece of hardware, and if you don't mind screwing around a little, I guess its fine.

Raczyk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Also interested in this card. Do any of you know if it supports large drives i.e larger then 128GB. Because my older MB does not want to boot my 80GB hard drive.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Silicon Image is fine. This chip competes with another from Highpoint, the Highpoint is a bit better but both are good enough to be included on some top quality motherboards. So putting them on a PCI card instead doesn't make a lot of difference, they are still decent, inexpensive controllers.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Raczyk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Would a UltraDMA 133 controller bypass the limitation of my MB. That is it will not boot my 80GB hard disk. In perticular this model which features the Silicon Image SIL0680 chipset.
<A HREF="http://www.st-lab.com/IDECMD0680R_1.html" target="_new">http://www.st-lab.com/IDECMD0680R_1.html</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It will do the job as long as it has boot BIOS, which I believe it does. Simply set the motherboard to boot off "SCSI" first, because motherboards treat IDE cards as SCSI cards.

Of course you could always try to find an updated BIOS for your motherboard to support your new drive.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>