Question: Behringer "cancellation" in stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer. When I input a stereo CD, cassette, VCR
audio, whatever, into stereo inputs 9/10, 11/12, 13/14 or 15/16, It cancels
out. Whassup?

If I unplug either left or right input, it is OK, just 1/2 of the stereo, but I
can't keep both channels plugged in at the same time.

I thought that one of the left or right cables might be wired OOP, so I
checked, switched, finally made NEW cables paying careful attention to polarity
(RCA to 1/4"). The problem persists, on all 4 stereo inputs!

Could Behringer have wired it wrong? Out of phase? Or could they have
inadvertently wired the lower (right) input of these pairs as an insert jack,
as is the norm on the 1-8 mono channels?

"Blackburst" <blackburst@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer. When I input a stereo CD, cassette,
VCR
> audio, whatever, into stereo inputs 9/10, 11/12, 13/14 or 15/16, It
cancels
> out. Whassup?

Even if it were wired with reversed polarity, you would still hear something
when playing a stereo CD through it. And, I'm assuming you are not mixing
the two stereo channels together to mono, right???

Do you hear aboslutely nothing when you do this?

Mike Putrino

Blackburst wrote:

> I have a Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer. When I input a stereo CD, cassette, VCR
> audio, whatever, into stereo inputs 9/10, 11/12, 13/14 or 15/16, It cancels
> out. Whassup?

> If I unplug either left or right input, it is OK, just 1/2 of the stereo,
> but I can't keep both channels plugged in at the same time.

> I thought that one of the left or right cables might be wired OOP, so I
> checked, switched, finally made NEW cables paying careful attention to
> polarity (RCA to 1/4"). The problem persists, on all 4 stereo inputs!

> Could Behringer have wired it wrong? Out of phase? Or could they have
> inadvertently wired the lower (right) input of these pairs as an insert
> jack, as is the norm on the 1-8 mono channels?

Maybe it did get wired wrong, but given the amount of automation in the
assemply of those things, that could suggest a whole lot of 'em are
wired that way. Hit up Beri's tech support; I've found it outstanding.
They will take care of it.

--
ha

"Blackburst" <blackburst@aol.com> wrote in message...

> I thought that one of the left or right cables might be wired OOP, so I
> checked, switched, finally made NEW cables paying careful attention to polarity
> (RCA to 1/4"). The problem persists, on all 4 stereo inputs!

Intentionally wire one cable out of phase and try again... report back.

DM

In article <20041208104408.11907.00001410@mb-m16.aol.com> blackburst@aol.com writes:

> I have a Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer. When I input a stereo CD, cassette, VCR
> audio, whatever, into stereo inputs 9/10, 11/12, 13/14 or 15/16, It cancels
> out. Whassup?

It sounds broken (possibly in design) to me. A good test would be to
use a Y cable and feed the same signal to both sides of a stereo
channel. If that cancels, then for sure it's the mixer that's broken.
If it doesn't, then you have an external problem.

Understand that on those stereo channels, when you have both inputs
connected, the "pan" control works like the "balance" control on a
consumer stereo amplifier/receiver. Turning it counterclockwise from
center turns down the right channel, turning it clockwise turns down
the left channel. With one (the designated) input connected, it acts
like a normal pan pot.

"Blackburst" <blackburst@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer. When I input a stereo CD, cassette,
VCR
> audio, whatever, into stereo inputs 9/10, 11/12, 13/14 or 15/16, It
cancels
> out. Whassup?
>
> If I unplug either left or right input, it is OK, just 1/2 of the stereo,
but I
> can't keep both channels plugged in at the same time.
>
> I thought that one of the left or right cables might be wired OOP, so I
> checked, switched, finally made NEW cables paying careful attention to
polarity
> (RCA to 1/4"). The problem persists, on all 4 stereo inputs!
>
> Could Behringer have wired it wrong? Out of phase? Or could they have
> inadvertently wired the lower (right) input of these pairs as an insert
jack,
> as is the norm on the 1-8 mono channels?
>

> I have a Behrigner MX3242x where the main outputs L+R are wired out of
phase......
I run a stereo system in a live situation so with the speakers far apart its
not easy to tell but to line out to a mono rig which i did a god few weeks
after first using the desk it took a few minutes to work out what was
wrong..
I just simply wire my cable for the right hand channel out of phase and keep
the cables wellmarked.

"Blackburst" <blackburst@aol.com> wrote in message
>I have a Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer. When I input a stereo CD, cassette,
>VCR
> audio, whatever, into stereo inputs 9/10, 11/12, 13/14 or 15/16, It
> cancels
> out. Whassup?
>
> If I unplug either left or right input, it is OK, just 1/2 of the stereo,
> but I
> can't keep both channels plugged in at the same time.
>
> I thought that one of the left or right cables might be wired OOP, so I
> checked, switched, finally made NEW cables paying careful attention to
> polarity
> (RCA to 1/4"). The problem persists, on all 4 stereo inputs!
>
> Could Behringer have wired it wrong? Out of phase? Or could they have
> inadvertently wired the lower (right) input of these pairs as an insert
> jack,
> as is the norm on the 1-8 mono channels?

The stereo line input connectors on that mixer are TRS balanced and can
accept an unbalanced input, just like the mono channel line inputs on ch.
1-8.
Input impedance is 20K ohms with a max input level of +22dBu. It should be
no problem, but the input devices do play a role here.

I'm assuming these are RCA connections on your source devices. Did you try
running that same signal into the RCA "Tape In" connection on the mixer? If
so, did that work for you? How about into the stereo Aux returns (also
balanced)? Two mono channels panned L & R?

When running directly to the stereo channel inputs did you get no signal at
all, or did you get signal that degraded over a minute or two? This second
condition may indicate a buildup of DC on the mixer inputs - a condition
which can be rectified with an easy-to-do cable solution.

Regards,

Jim Savery
Global Customer Support Manager
BEHRINGER The Americas
Tel: 1-425-672-0816 x 111
Fax: 1-425-673-7647
mailto:j.savery@behringer.com
http://www.behringer.com
This email is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) named above and may
contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not among the
intended recipients, you may not copy, utilize or distribute any of the
information contained herein. If you have received this email in error,
please notify us immediately via return email and delete the original from
your mailbox. Thank you.

Jim:
thanks for the reply, direct from Behringer Service!

>I'm assuming these are RCA connections on your source devices. Did you try
>running that same signal into the RCA "Tape In" connection on the mixer? If
>so, did that work for you?

Yes, the RCA ins work correctly.

>How about into the stereo Aux returns (also
>balanced)?

Yes. They work correctly.

>Two mono channels panned L & R?

Yes. Correct.

>When running directly to the stereo channel inputs did you get no signal at
>all, or did you get signal that degraded over a minute or two?

As noted, I DO get a signal with either the L or R cable connected to the
stereo channels (half of the stereo field). When I connect both, it drops out
completely, as though I were interrupting the signal path.

Any suggestions? I have tried re-checking cables very carefully.

BTW, it's a great product. I think Behringer makes great stuff for the price
point.

Blackburst <blackburst@aol.com> wrote:

>As noted, I DO get a signal with either the L or R cable connected to the
>stereo channels (half of the stereo field). When I connect both, it drops out
>completely, as though I were interrupting the signal path.

Are you sure you are going into a stereo input? Are you sure you are not
going into a TRS balanced input?
--scott

> Jim:
> thanks for the reply, direct from Behringer Service!
>
>>I'm assuming these are RCA connections on your source devices. Did you
>>try
>>running that same signal into the RCA "Tape In" connection on the mixer?
>>If
>>so, did that work for you?
>
> Yes, the RCA ins work correctly.
>
>>How about into the stereo Aux returns (also
>>balanced)?
>
> Yes. They work correctly.
> [snipped]
> Any suggestions? I have tried re-checking cables very carefully.
>
> BTW, it's a great product. I think Behringer makes great stuff for the
> price
> point.

One last data point: Have you tried running these stereo inputs with any
non-consumer devices. For example a stereo effects processor or stereo
keyboard or similar? What were the results?

Jim

Jim Savery
Global Customer Support Manager
BEHRINGER The Americas
Tel: 1-425-672-0816 x 111
Fax: 1-425-673-7647
mailto:j.savery@behringer.com
http://www.behringer.com

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:40:00 GMT, "Jim Savery"
<jim.savery@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Blackburst" <blackburst@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Jim:
>> thanks for the reply, direct from Behringer Service!
>>
>>>I'm assuming these are RCA connections on your source devices. Did you
>>>try
>>>running that same signal into the RCA "Tape In" connection on the mixer?
>>>If
>>>so, did that work for you?
>>
>> Yes, the RCA ins work correctly.
>>
>>>How about into the stereo Aux returns (also
>>>balanced)?
>>
>> Yes. They work correctly.
>> [snipped]
>> Any suggestions? I have tried re-checking cables very carefully.
>>
>> BTW, it's a great product. I think Behringer makes great stuff for the
>> price
>> point.
>
>One last data point: Have you tried running these stereo inputs with any
>non-consumer devices. For example a stereo effects processor or stereo
>keyboard or similar? What were the results?

also, what happens if you disconnect the L or R at the OTHER end of
the cable (ie. feed only one source, but have two connectors plugged
in)

Jason