Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I'm at a school dorm and I have a problem with my laptop. My xbox connects fine

Last response: in Networking
January 9, 2013 6:23:24 PM

Hello,I'm at a school dorm and I have a problem with my laptop. My xbox connects fine with wireless and the ethernet cord. but my laptop doesn't My laptop gets wireless but when I plug the ethernet cord in im connected to a network it says I have internet but when I try to go to google or any webpage nothing loads just white page. I try to play a game like Diablo 3 but some reason its not getting the connection to the internet. My port is fine on my computer so i narrowed it down to be wrong with my computer.
a b D Laptop
a c 203 F Wireless
January 9, 2013 6:36:10 PM

Check in the device manager to see if the network adapter shows up and says that it is working properly. It may just need an updated driver.
m
l
January 9, 2013 6:41:12 PM

RealBeast said:
Check in the device manager to see if the network adapter shows up and says that it is working properly. It may just need an updated driver.

it was working a few days ago and it says its up to date. There has to be something blocking the access or something.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 203 F Wireless
January 9, 2013 6:53:24 PM

Did you install any new software or update any, like iTunes?

I would also open the adapter properties in the network control panel and see if anything for the Ethernet adapter has changed, including the automatic IP addressing (right click the adapter in change adapter settings, highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and hit properties).
m
l
January 9, 2013 6:57:32 PM

RealBeast said:
Did you install any new software or update any, like iTunes?

I would also open the adapter properties in the network control panel and see if anything for the Ethernet adapter has changed, including the automatic IP addressing (right click the adapter in change adapter settings, highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and hit properties).

I just did that and nothing has changed. Thanks for helping me btw :) . This is one tough cookie lol.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 203 F Wireless
January 9, 2013 7:11:01 PM

Next, I would reset the adapter, just disable and then re-enable it in the network control panel; and then run the troubleshooter on it.

Also, reset the TCP/IP stack to default by opening the command prompt with a right click run as administrator and type: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reset winsock next by typing: netsh winsock reset ; Then reboot.

If those don't fix it, I would try another DNS server, like 8.8.8.8 (the Google public DNS), for the Ethernet adapter, same spot as where you checked the automatic IP address.
m
l
January 9, 2013 7:17:29 PM

alright I done all of those I did the netsh before I posted on here. I did the winsock and nothing. I tried another one and still nothing.
m
l
January 9, 2013 7:22:59 PM

RealBeast said:
Next, I would reset the adapter, just disable and then re-enable it in the network control panel; and then run the troubleshooter on it.

Also, reset the TCP/IP stack to default by opening the command prompt with a right click run as administrator and type: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reset winsock next by typing: netsh winsock reset ; Then reboot.

If those don't fix it, I would try another DNS server, like 8.8.8.8 (the Google public DNS), for the Ethernet adapter, same spot as where you checked the automatic IP address.

I tried all that you mentioned. Still can't load up the page or do anything internet related. It looks like its about to load but then it doesn't
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 203 F Wireless
January 9, 2013 7:24:36 PM

Do you get any useful information if you right click on the adapter icon in the network control panel/change adapter settings and click status? (does it show addresses, gateways and lease times)
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a c 203 F Wireless
January 9, 2013 7:29:03 PM

My only other idea currently is after you use the wireless to download the latest LAN adapter driver (make sure it is for your version), go into the device manager and uninstall the Ethernet adapter. Then restart and let it reinstall, providing the driver as needed.
January 9, 2013 7:36:07 PM

RealBeast said:
Do you get any useful information if you right click on the adapter icon in the network control panel/change adapter settings and click status? (does it show addresses, gateways and lease times)

here :

IPV4 Address: 10.67.195
IPV4 subnet mask: 255. 255.252.0
lease times: Jan 9 4:20 expires feb 08 2013
IPV4 default gateway 10.67.16.1

it showed stuff like that yes.

m
l
January 9, 2013 7:46:31 PM

RealBeast said:
My only other idea currently is after you use the wireless to download the latest LAN adapter driver (make sure it is for your version), go into the device manager and uninstall the Ethernet adapter. Then restart and let it reinstall, providing the driver as needed.

Well thanks for the help anyways. I have actually tried that. I know some basic stuff lol :) . Well I know something is blocking the internet to be used on my computer. I know its somethign about my computer. It says I have internet access I just don't know what it is. I looked at services and it seems good there. I just have no clues. You have any ideas what I should do like to take it somewhere to have it looked or something lol.
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:05:47 PM

RealBeast said:

well I did something and after 2 days it finallyw orks lol. Thank you for your help :)  its greatly appreciated :)  sorry to waste your time like that. Hope you have a great day
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:27:00 PM

Best answer selected by 11jvann.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 203 F Wireless
January 9, 2013 8:30:06 PM

Well that was easy; glad it's working. :) 
m
l
!