Installing windows 7 from external hdd?

teletom

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I was wondering if it is possible to install windows 7 from an external hdd if i have the iso?
i just recently built a new computer and i'm completely new to all this i have an asrock z68 ex3 and i havnt even turned it on so im wondering all that i would need to do to get this to work if it is at all possible
all help is greatly appreciated
-Zane Z

nope you dont need a hard drive now with windows 7 or 8. microsoft make a usb programe
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool
all you need do is run it and point it to the iso file. and have a 4g usb stick.
then go into your bios and make the usb stick the first boot device.
it boot just like the windows cd and have the same menus. i do this when my oem windows disk i make an iso image and then use a 6.00 usb stick.. if i lose it or it goes bad..not a real big lose.

teletom

Honorable
May 22, 2012
thanks for the quick response!
i dont have a usb stick big enough but could i still use an hdd if i format it a certain way
and also how do i go into the bios
if you could give me a more dumbed down explanation
sorry about this hope it isnt too much trouble

yes its possible to install windows from an external hard drive

theres great free software here that lets you

meant for installing linux editions from flash drives or external drives

but it alsp lets you load windows 7

or antivirus or diagnostic software that runs outside of windows

its also multiboot so you can for example use it to install windows 7--run hirens boot cd--run live linux--install linux--run

diagnostic tools--all from one flash or external drive

really simple to use as well--just tick show all drives--make sure to pick the right one to format

then scroll down the list of distributions to windows 7/8 installer and browse to your iso

it will make your drive bootable and extract your iso for you

when its done you have the option of adding more isos

if you choose not to you can rerun it later to add more--just dont tick format if you want to add more

i use this with a passport drive to run windows repair discs and ubuntu and diagnostic tools -install windows 7 etc

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

hairystuff

Distinguished
@Brett928S2, You do know that you can purchase the license online from microsoft and download the software iso, lets say theres no ODD on the target machine for any and many reason, the only install route is going to be the USB port, or if you purchase a student licence online again the only way to get that iso on to a PC is going to be either burn it to a DVD-ROM or transfer it to a Bootable USB Mass storage device.