SM57 hit with drumstick...decapitated!!!

Last response: in Home Audio
December 8, 2004 3:46:03 PM

So, I recorded a band this weekend and I had a borrowed SM57 on one of
the toms. The take suddenly stopped and the drummer beckoned for me
to come see him.

He handed me the plastic&metal "windscreen" cap and a copper horseshoe
looking clip. The mic itself was still in the mic stand but looked
headless. You can see a clear plastic cover over the diaphram and
some red paint spots.

I was expecting it to still work, but to my surprise it doesnt work at
all. Nothing. When I set it down next to a power strip there was a
strong buzz.

I am planning to have the band buy a replacement. I will give the
brand new replacement to the borrowee and I will keep the dead one.
Should I try to fix it?

thx,
frenchy
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 4:01:38 PM

they call me frenchy <frenchy*NO*@*SPAM*houseofharmonystudios.com> wrote:
>So, I recorded a band this weekend and I had a borrowed SM57 on one of
>the toms. The take suddenly stopped and the drummer beckoned for me
>to come see him.
>
>He handed me the plastic&metal "windscreen" cap and a copper horseshoe
>looking clip. The mic itself was still in the mic stand but looked
>headless. You can see a clear plastic cover over the diaphram and
>some red paint spots.

One of the fine wires under the diaphragm is torn.

>I was expecting it to still work, but to my surprise it doesnt work at
>all. Nothing. When I set it down next to a power strip there was a
>strong buzz.

Right, because the transformer in there still works, so it will still pick
up magnetic noise. But the coil on the element is open.

>I am planning to have the band buy a replacement. I will give the
>brand new replacement to the borrowee and I will keep the dead one.
>Should I try to fix it?

You can get a new element from Shure. Whether you can find the open wire
and fix the existing element, I don't know. I never had any luck doing
that with any dynamic.
--scott
December 8, 2004 10:08:00 PM

Ahhh... a hard hitter!

The moving coil is most likely broken.
The strong buzz is due do hum pickup from the output transfo.

If you're in the US, you should send it to Shure - even if you could buy a
spare element, putting it back together will be a bit of a pain.

JP

"they call me frenchy" <frenchy*NO*@*SPAM*houseofharmonystudios.com> a écrit
dans le message de news:fcfer0lmb10ms64uiqnm5jmktnmd826r8h@4ax.com...
> So, I recorded a band this weekend and I had a borrowed SM57 on one of
> the toms. The take suddenly stopped and the drummer beckoned for me
> to come see him.
>
> He handed me the plastic&metal "windscreen" cap and a copper horseshoe
> looking clip. The mic itself was still in the mic stand but looked
> headless. You can see a clear plastic cover over the diaphram and
> some red paint spots.
>
> I was expecting it to still work, but to my surprise it doesnt work at
> all. Nothing. When I set it down next to a power strip there was a
> strong buzz.
>
> I am planning to have the band buy a replacement. I will give the
> brand new replacement to the borrowee and I will keep the dead one.
> Should I try to fix it?
>
> thx,
> frenchy

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 10:08:01 PM

JP Gerard wrote:
> Ahhh... a hard hitter!
>
> The moving coil is most likely broken.
> The strong buzz is due do hum pickup from the output transfo.
>
> If you're in the US, you should send it to Shure - even if you could buy a
> spare element, putting it back together will be a bit of a pain.
>
> JP
>

> "they call me frenchy" <frenchy*NO*@*SPAM*houseofharmonystudios.com> a écrit
> dans le message de news:fcfer0lmb10ms64uiqnm5jmktnmd826r8h@4ax.com...
>
>>So, I recorded a band this weekend and I had a borrowed SM57 on one of
>>the toms. The take suddenly stopped and the drummer beckoned for me
>>to come see him.
>>
>>He handed me the plastic&metal "windscreen" cap and a copper horseshoe
>>looking clip. The mic itself was still in the mic stand but looked
>>headless. You can see a clear plastic cover over the diaphram and
>>some red paint spots.
>>
>>I was expecting it to still work, but to my surprise it doesnt work at
>>all. Nothing. When I set it down next to a power strip there was a
>>strong buzz.
>>
>>I am planning to have the band buy a replacement. I will give the
>>brand new replacement to the borrowee and I will keep the dead one.
>>Should I try to fix it?
>>
>>thx,
>>frenchy

Replace it with a EV Co4
less than the cost of rehab and much more rugged
George
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 11:50:48 PM

"they call me frenchy" <frenchy*NO*@*SPAM*houseofharmonystudios.com> wrote in message
> So, I recorded a band this weekend and I had a borrowed SM57 on one of
> the toms. The take suddenly stopped and the drummer beckoned for me
> to come see him.
>
> He handed me the plastic&metal "windscreen" cap and a copper horseshoe
> looking clip. The mic itself was still in the mic stand but looked
> headless. You can see a clear plastic cover over the diaphram and
> some red paint spots.
>
> I was expecting it to still work, but to my surprise it doesnt work at
> all. Nothing. When I set it down next to a power strip there was a
> strong buzz.
>
> I am planning to have the band buy a replacement. I will give the
> brand new replacement to the borrowee and I will keep the dead one.
> Should I try to fix it?
>
> thx,
> frenchy

I wouldn't try to fix it if it were me, I could use a new mic though....

For roughly $55 you can send the dead mic to Shure and get what
they _call_ a "refurbished" mic in return... but it comes to you in a
retail box with a bag & clip... so it looks like new stuff to me. Just
fill out the service form on the Shure website and mail in the mic with
your payment...

http://www.shure.com/sales-service/repair_correspondenc...

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> they call me frenchy <frenchy*NO*@*SPAM*houseofharmonystudios.com>
> wrote:
>> So, I recorded a band this weekend and I had a borrowed SM57 on one
>> of the toms. The take suddenly stopped and the drummer beckoned for
>> me to come see him.
>>
>> He handed me the plastic&metal "windscreen" cap and a copper
>> horseshoe looking clip. The mic itself was still in the mic stand
>> but looked headless. You can see a clear plastic cover over the
>> diaphram and some red paint spots.
>
> One of the fine wires under the diaphragm is torn.
>
>> I was expecting it to still work, but to my surprise it doesnt work
>> at all. Nothing. When I set it down next to a power strip there
>> was a strong buzz.
>
> Right, because the transformer in there still works, so it will still
> pick up magnetic noise. But the coil on the element is open.
>
>> I am planning to have the band buy a replacement. I will give the
>> brand new replacement to the borrowee and I will keep the dead one.
>> Should I try to fix it?
>
> You can get a new element from Shure. Whether you can find the open
> wire and fix the existing element, I don't know. I never had any
> luck doing that with any dynamic.
> --scott

BTW, the new element will include everything from the screw threads on the
body 'up'. You unscrew the capsule from the body (which only contains the
transformer and connector), unsolder the two wires, resolder and screw it
together again...voila'! ...brand new mic.

OTOH, I've had many, many 57's which suffered this kind of damage without
dying. The plastic cap and windscreen separated from the rest. The mic's
worked, but the cap defied reattachment. I 'used' to simply buy the Shure
muff with the setscrew collar as a fix; but eventually I got tired of
spending the money.

Upon minutely examining the remains, I paid particular attention to the 'U'
shaped copper thingie (retaining ring) described in the OP. After being
damaged, it has what looks to simply be a notch in the middle. The ends
obviously press together and pop into a hole under the 'SM-57' label around
the plastic cap. When I put that all back together, the cap still wanted to
fall off. That's when I realized that the 'notch' was actually the remains
of a tab which had broken off the clip, and which had originally fit into a
hole on the opposite side.

A quick dab with a soldering iron, the tip of which was loaded with excess
solder provided a replacement tab. Don't try to get the retainer really
hot, as in normal soldering practice. This will cause the solder to 'flow'
and not make the required projection...just a quick 'dabbing' motion is
required...just enough to cause the solder to adhere and then, as the iron
is quickly withdrawn, it leaves a sharp projection. Scrape across it with a
fingernail to check for adequate adhesion.

Reattach the cap on the head using a pair of tiny surgical forceps to hold
the open ends ends together...sliding those up under the cap, between it and
the body of the capsule, and popping the ends into the hole. It helps to
remove the paper label in order to see the hole from the outside (or
alternatively: perforate the label at the hole).

Hope this helps someone. It's saved me and my employers a bit of money and
when done carefully is a permanent and invisible fix.

jak
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 11:05:43 PM

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
> For roughly $55 you can send the dead mic to Shure and get what
> they _call_ a "refurbished" mic in return... but it comes to you in a
> retail box with a bag & clip... so it looks like new stuff to me.

Why wouldn't it be?
Sounds like the new cost price without dealer margin to me. Probably just a
way to get around dealer agreements as replacements only.

TonyP.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 11:41:25 PM

Wow,
what was his using for sticks? A pair of horseshoe posts? lol
!