Help with window 7 versions

RadioHouse

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hello I am using a window 7 RC for 32bits that my friend install for me but now he say i need to buy a window 7 because the RC is coming to an end. I look at some site's to see which one i should buy and there was many version's of the window and i am confused which one is the right one for me so can u guys help me pick which 1 i should pick. I want a window 7 home pre version so should i get it in 1pack for system builders version, upgrade version, or full version

my computer have 2gig of ram with a Core 2 duo cpu and a 500gb hard drive runing window 7 rc 32bit

i dont care if i need to erase all my files and programs as i have a external hard drive that can put all my files and programs in to.

and also im planning on upgrading my cpu, motherbored, hard drive and memory in future but for now 2gig with core 2 duo is what im using

Solution
I wouldn't bother with an upgrade version (since technically you are not allowed to do an in-place upgrade from the RC to RTM version of 7, which leaves us with the OEM and Retail versions. I created a stickied thread in the Windows 7 section to address questions like you have asked here. Click here to see that thread. Number 8 in the thread outlines the differences between the OEM and Retail copies of Windows 7. At the end of the day, only you can really decide what's best for you in this situation.
I wouldn't bother with an upgrade version (since technically you are not allowed to do an in-place upgrade from the RC to RTM version of 7, which leaves us with the OEM and Retail versions. I created a stickied thread in the Windows 7 section to address questions like you have asked here. Click here to see that thread. Number 8 in the thread outlines the differences between the OEM and Retail copies of Windows 7. At the end of the day, only you can really decide what's best for you in this situation.

Solution

RadioHouse

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
i am gonna do clean install to computer and can i do it with the upgrade version or OEM version cause i dont want to spend on buying full version and also if i buy OEM it say that i can't change computer so if i upgrade my 7200rpm hard drive to a SSD or something else that im gonna install OS to can i use the OEM again

Microsoft basically defines a computer by the motherboard. If you're changing or upgrading things like hard drives, or putting in some extra ram, you do not have to buy another OEM copy.

OEM copies can be reinstalled on the same system as many times as necessary. If you reinstall too many times, you'll hit a snag with the activation, but only when it comes to activating online. Once you hit the online activation limit, you can always call their toll free number and use their automated system to activate that way. I've done it a few times... it only takes about 5-6 minutes.

It's a violation of the license agreement to purchase and install an upgrade version unless it replaces a prior version of Windows which will no longer be used.

isamuelson

Distinguished

And the prior version must be Vista or XP. It cannot be the RC of Windows 7.

TRENDING THREADS