urqie

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I am having a problem with my video card. I have madden loaded on my system and when I load the game to play it gets up to the start game screen and when I press it my computer hangs. It makes a terrible noise out of my speakers and the only way to get out of it is to reset. I reloaded my system not to long ago and have since tried to get Madden to start again and the same problem. This has happend with Medal of Honor as well. I had Medal of Honor working before and all of a sudden the games will just freeze and make this awful noise. I have uninstalled the video card. Reinstalled the newest drivers. Use the XP driver and everything else I can think of. I have an ATI 8500LE 128mb ddr card, 1.2 gig AThlon tbird, and 192 mbs of ram. I am at a loss for what is going on and am desperate for help. As I have said I had it working before then one day boom I get this. Can anyone please help me out with this. I do appreciate any advice.

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Have you checked your system fans? Make sure everything is spinning strong or you may have a heat problem. Also, try different sets of drivers. If the latest ones don't work properly, try the previous driver version.

Did you install any new programs? Any new hardware? Any changes of any kind, even downloaded programs? Did you make changes to the display settings?

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

urqie

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
The fans are working fine. The most recent program I have installed is the Madden. I have Norton sys wrks and buring programs on there. I don't have anything that would have to do with the video card except the madden. As a program that uses it more then the others. I haven't made any changes to the display except to turn down the accelorator.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds familiar to a problem caused by running certain sound cards with a VIA chipset! Can you list your complete specs?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

urqie

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I was thinking that the sound card might have something to do with it but wasn't sure. I am running a SB Live Value. That thing that made me wonder if it was the sound card or not was that I put a MX 4/400 in it and it ran ok.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, it could be a driver issue, I've heard of problems switching from nVidia to Radeon cards. It's just that I've usually seen the problem caused by 1 of 2 soundchips on VIA chipset boards.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

ServerDaemon

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003
I just found out why my ATI 8500DV is hanging. Apparently ALI chipsets (like the one in my ASUS motherboard) have problems with the chips used in the ATI cards. I had the same problem when Medal of Honor would constantly freeze up on me and I called ATI.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
I had the same problems with the catalyst 3.0 drivers on my 9700pro....Whenever I would run 3dmark or any other open gl game I would get a lock up followed by a loud screeches from the speakers. After going back down to the catalyst 2.5 drivers everything works peachy. I am also running directx9. I dont know if this had anything to do with it but I DID have similar things happen to me. Give the 2.5s a shot