iwantedorange

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Is there a way to view my exact signal strength(say in % I guess) with my laptop running windows 7?

I had software for the wireless card in my tower pc which gave a signal strength of 70%. I'm curious if my laptop is getting a similar strength since they are close but a few feet apart. Or where in my house gets the best signal other than just showing low-excellent.

Thanks!

iwantedorange

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
I was thinking of just using my laptop and moving it around the house to see where weak spots are and possibly move the router.

If I was just using the laptop wouldn't it be useful then since it's the same wifi chip?

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
To a point you need to move very slowly it does not update quickly. If you are going to that trouble you might as well run INSSIDER so you can see all the AP in the neighborhood. Signal strength is just one thing signal quality is much more important. If you have a neighbor transmitting just a strong as you on the same channel you will have great signal strength but still get a very poor connection because of interference

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

google inSSIDer, click meta geeks link, enjoy.