CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I currently own a Compaq Presario 5330US (1.7Ghz Pentium 4 processor, 512MB ram, dvd-rom, cd-rw drive, floppy drive, maxtor 80.0GB harddrive) with a 250W power supply. I was looking into buying a Radeon 9700 or 9500 both of which require a minimum 300W (I was thinking of upgrading to a 350W just to be safe) power supply.
How easy/difficult is it to swap out the power supply (is it just a matter of unplugging/unscrewing the old one and screwing in/reconnecting the new one) and what else do I need to take into account?

Thanks for the help.

svol

Champion
If I'm correct Compaq uses normal ATX powersupplies in their cases, so you could just buy a 350W ATX PSU (possible P4 ready if the board needs an additional 12V line) from a normal hardware store and change the PSU.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
It's been my experience with Compaq that they DO NOT have standard ATX power supplies. I've seen some that have a standard ATX switch but with the old AT mobo connectors. I just had a mini-ATX Compaq here that had only 1 old AT type mobo connector.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree. Compaq computers use in my company does not use standard ATX PSU. You should check the PSU before you get replacement for it.

svol

Champion
Strange... I though only Dell did that with their new PCs.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.