headphone noise

Last response: in Home Audio
December 9, 2004 7:48:08 PM

Hello there,

I always have trouble with headphone cables,
lately I had them hanging from the ceiling.
But still I get noise picked up by the
guitar pickup (that's its job, right? ;-)
Especially hihat or click sound is very
annoying.

I wonder what could help. Thicker cables?
Or is it because the headphones I use are
cheap ones? Does anybody has these bleeding
effects with good AKG's?
Thanks for any help.

Kind Regards
Nudge

--
Nudge // PCS Records Studio Leipzig
http://studio.lieber-media.de

More about : headphone noise

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 7:48:09 PM

In article <31racmF3ef4bmU1@individual.net>, Nudge <big-chief@gmx.de> wrote:

>I always have trouble with headphone cables,
>lately I had them hanging from the ceiling.
>But still I get noise picked up by the
>guitar pickup (that's its job, right? ;-)
>Especially hihat or click sound is very
>annoying.

That's weird. Are you sure it's not acoustic leakage?
--scott

December 10, 2004 1:42:42 AM

On 9 Dec 2004 12:32:48 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>In article <31racmF3ef4bmU1@individual.net>, Nudge <big-chief@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>I always have trouble with headphone cables,
>>lately I had them hanging from the ceiling.
>>But still I get noise picked up by the
>>guitar pickup (that's its job, right? ;-)
>>Especially hihat or click sound is very
>>annoying.
>
>That's weird. Are you sure it's not acoustic leakage?

I would guess it's magnetic leakage from the headphone voice coils
into the pickup, and not the headphone cable, which not only has far
fewer 'turns' than the voice coils, also it has the same currents
going both ways and so any generated magnetic field would (mostly)
cancel.

Try electrostatic headphones.

>--scott

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
December 10, 2004 1:42:43 AM

Ben Bradley <ben_nospam_bradley@mindspring.com> wrote:
>On 9 Dec 2004 12:32:48 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>>In article <31racmF3ef4bmU1@individual.net>, Nudge <big-chief@gmx.de> wrote:
>>>
>>>I always have trouble with headphone cables,
>>>lately I had them hanging from the ceiling.
>>>But still I get noise picked up by the
>>>guitar pickup (that's its job, right? ;-)
>>>Especially hihat or click sound is very
>>>annoying.
>>
>>That's weird. Are you sure it's not acoustic leakage?
>
> I would guess it's magnetic leakage from the headphone voice coils
>into the pickup, and not the headphone cable, which not only has far
>fewer 'turns' than the voice coils, also it has the same currents
>going both ways and so any generated magnetic field would (mostly)
>cancel.

You gotta have your head REALLY close to the pickup for that, though.
Magnetic field drops off very quickly with distance.
--scott
December 10, 2004 1:00:33 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Ben Bradley <ben_nospam_bradley@mindspring.com> wrote:

>>>That's weird. Are you sure it's not acoustic leakage?
>>
>> I would guess it's magnetic leakage from the headphone voice coils
>>into the pickup, and not the headphone cable, which not only has far
>>fewer 'turns' than the voice coils, also it has the same currents
>>going both ways and so any generated magnetic field would (mostly)
>>cancel.
>

> You gotta have your head REALLY close to the pickup for that, though.
> Magnetic field drops off very quickly with distance.
> --scott

Acoustic leakage is no problem, I think.
Mostly I stand 10-12 feet away from the cabinet speaker
where the mic is placed. Might that headphone
cable running parallel to the mic cable cause this
problem?
The problem gets worse with more distortion.

--
Nudge // PCS Records Studio Leipzig
http://studio.lieber-media.de
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 1:00:34 PM

>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>Acoustic leakage is no problem, I think.
>Mostly I stand 10-12 feet away from the cabinet speaker
>where the mic is placed. Might that headphone
>cable running parallel to the mic cable cause this
>problem?

Are you hearing it in the amp (meaning it's getting into the pickup) or
just in the mike feed?

I would be more apt to suspect some sort of grounding foolishness if it is
leaking into the mike feed; balanced mike lines are very well isolated
compared with unbalanced guitar lines.

>The problem gets worse with more distortion.

Of course, because you have a lot more gain on the amp that way. Which would
also lead me to think the mike has nothing to do with it.
--scott