Sign in with
Your question

Which sound card is you favor?

Last response: in Components
December 25, 2002 1:46:52 PM

Which sound card is you favor?Show us.Do you know Diamond MonsterSound MX400?How do you feel that?

More about : sound card favor

December 27, 2002 5:15:11 AM

I have the Aureal SQ2500, a Vortex2 card similar to the MX300. It is the best PC card I know of, but driver support is getting scarce.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
December 27, 2002 4:30:03 PM

Right now, I'm using a SB Live 5.1 and a old Ensoniq Soundscape Elite. I still use the Soundscape quite a bit because the sounds were good and it has a decent effects processor daughterboard for real-time effects. If I was to buy a new one, I'd probably go for a Terratec.

As for the Diamond MonsterSound, I'm not familiar with the models, but I know my father had one and was happy with it. That's about all I can say about it.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A>
Related resources
December 27, 2002 5:39:29 PM

I have an Audigy OEM (the original not Audigy2) and I love it. I don't have any problems in games or music playback. I've connected it to my Denon PMA-655R stereo integrated amp and B&W DM303 speakers and the setup sounds real good. My taste in music is broad and varried and the Audigy is a capable card for all kinds of things I listen to.

But after all, I wish I had a M-Audio Audiophile 2496. I don't have the money right now though so... :( 
December 28, 2002 9:49:06 AM

I would like to get a Terratec sound card but I cannot find them in the US.
December 28, 2002 3:22:19 PM

Definitely the Audigy 1 OEM, available for about $50. Great sound, EAX3, lowest cpu utilization rate other than the Audigy 2, firewire port built in.

I dont think any other card can be considered that doesnt support EAX3. The only other viable option for a gamer that takes his sound seriously is the Nforce audio which is decent but still doesnt support EAX3.

Athlon 1700+, Gigabyte 7VTXE (KT266A), 2x256mb Crucial PC2100, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s
December 31, 2002 3:59:42 AM

Quote:
I wish I had a M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

Nice card. :cool: I was looking at those myself. I wound up going for the MOTU 828, which I didn't mention since it's not really a 'card' per se.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A>
December 31, 2002 4:05:13 AM

Terratec is distributed by Fostex. You'll probably find it at your local music (instrument) store like Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or <A HREF="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=021230162911066..." target="_new">Musician's Friend</A>. Check their <A HREF="http://www.terratec.net/ttus/sales.htm" target="_new">wesite</A> to find one near you.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jheine on 12/31/02 01:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 31, 2002 5:41:51 AM

A3D 2.0 is better than EAX 3.0 and is 2 years old!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
December 31, 2002 8:19:47 AM

Thanks for the information.
January 2, 2003 12:17:22 AM

wheres the support?

Athlon 1700+, Gigabyte 7VTXE (KT266A), 2x256mb Crucial PC2100, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s
January 2, 2003 12:33:59 AM

Quote:
A3D 2.0 is better than EAX 3.0 and is 2 years old!

Crash it's time to quit living in the past, brother. I've extensively used <font color=green>all</font color=green> of the Aureal-based Monster Sound cards for gaming and they just can't hang with today's cards. Especially with the Audigy 2, there's simply no comparison.

Ritesh
January 2, 2003 1:27:50 AM

I think the Diamond MX400 uses the ESS Canyon 3D chip. ESS provides next to no support, and driver updates are non existant. I'd say to stay away from this card.

Personally, I like the Philips Acoustic Edge and Seismic Edge PSC705.

Cheers
January 2, 2003 2:49:37 AM

You mean what games support it? I'm not certain, but I have seen that at least some newer games do.

January 2, 2003 2:51:19 AM

I admit to not trying the Audigy 2 myself. Perhaps Creative integrated some A3D tech into EAX 3.0? They DO own the technology now.

January 2, 2003 3:11:20 AM

Man i'm with you.i have 2 of them collecting dust.had to replace it with the santa cruz cause i couldn't get it to work right with windows xp.i can only imagine what the VORTEX 3,4,whatever it would be called now would sound like if AUREAL was still around.hell,might have to scrap XP and go back to 98.
January 2, 2003 5:19:45 PM

BTW did you know that M-Audio were going to release 'Revolution 7.1'? Did it come out? A 7.1 internal card that supports EAX and Directsound 3D with 24-bit/192KHz DAC and 24-bit/96KHz ADC AND it gonna cost $99! Now ain't that sweeeet... /me wants one!
January 3, 2003 4:38:34 AM

I'd like to find an Audigy 2 for myself but hoping an OEM version is released. :) 
My audigy 1 is working great, at least under my NForce2.. it hated my VIA chipsets.

I could get it stable under every circumstance with my KT266A besides when using EAX3.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), 2x256mb Crucial PC2100, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s
January 3, 2003 5:49:55 AM

It doesn't look like it's shipping yet, but the website makes it sound rather tasty, with EAX, DirectSound, Sensaura, and A3D. The one thing it doesn't mention is ASIO though.

Jarrett

January 6, 2003 8:44:07 AM

""I've extensively used all of the Aureal-based Monster Sound cards""

If you would do so, you would not say ""and they just can't hang with today's cards."" so :( 

The EAX 1,2,3+++ is nothing more than super-duper stereo reverb barrel sounding noise, there is no 3D whatsoever, so I'll stick with my MX300 for a little more, until who ever will make a REAL 3D sound card to consider.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
January 6, 2003 9:00:37 AM

"<A HREF="http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/reviews/hardw..." target="_new">While</A> the SoundBlaster series will do some sort of 3D effects, it cannot do true quadrophonic sound with four speakers, and it doesn't boast the acceleration features of the Monster card. The Monster applies the A3D technology in hardware either directly or via calls made to the card through the DirectSound-3D protocol..."

January 6, 2003 12:06:35 PM

Audigy, all the way.

Audigy (1) if you need to save some cash.
Audigy 2 if you have some extra to throw around.

There's not a whole lot that's different between the two. I mean, there for sure is. But to the average listener, you won't hear that much of a difference. So if you want to save some money, go for the 1.

There's not much that sounds better.

I've owned the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and it was a nice card. Not quite as clear on the high ends as the Audigy, but if you want to save even more money, that card can be picked up for way less than a 100 bucks. It's a nice card, but I personally hear the difference, and would recommend the audigy over the TBSC anyday.

Hope that helps.

Good Luck.

<b>If it aint broke, then hell, you aint looking at it in the right frame of mind!</b>
January 6, 2003 1:34:41 PM

The soundcard I have in my current computer, is an old SBLive! 1024 player, that I bought a couple of years ago. It still ok for games - (it's only in an older AMD-K62 350), but for my new multi-purpose/DAW computer, I want something better... The cards (yes two), I'm planning to get, will be the ST-audio DSP24 w/ DSP3000 rack-mount, and I was originally going to get an Audigy 2 to go with it (for surround sound purposes and to keep everything at 24/96) - but the new M-audio revolution 7.1 has caught my interest... I have a lot of old music from my (very old) Amiga A1200 I want to re-do properly - (and hopefully sell), but mixing for surround sound will probably take some time to learn...

'Stupidity is an often fatal disease' - R. A. Heinlein
January 6, 2003 2:48:54 PM

Quote:
The EAX 1,2,3+++ is nothing more than super-duper stereo reverb barrel sounding noise, there is no 3D whatsoever, so I'll stick with my MX300 for a little more, until who ever will make a REAL 3D sound card to consider.

Heh, you're in denial. The MX300's not a bad card compared to the SB Live! series (I had one for almost a year) but the Audigy series is quite superior, especially the Audigy 2. EAX in itself is just a reverb engine. The positioning of the audio is provided by the DirectSound driver and it works perfectly on Creative cards. Make no mistake: when a game wants to put something to your rear right, you *will* hear it out of the rear right speaker. Get yourself an Audigy 2 and hear the difference; you can probably return it if you're not satisfied. Going from an MX300, I think it's worth the $120.

BTW, the Games Domain link you gave me is over five years old! At least try to back up your claims about EAX with something written in the last year or two...

Ritesh
January 6, 2003 9:51:44 PM

""At least try to back up your claims about EAX with something written in the last year or two...""

Well, you've said it yerself ""EAX in itself is just a reverb engine."" and there is almost nothing changed since 5 years old article about that I believe. That's why I originally gave you the link.

But anyway, I was just giving you hard time, nothing personal. Forgive me if I made you upset ;) 

I did take SBLive5.1! Platinum once, returned it next day, I think I had conversation with someone here about SB having high to medium bass, nothing below medium frequencies, it was sounding really dry compare to MX300. Sorry, it is just my perception, I am really picky about bass stuff. I use headphones and 2.1 speakers for that matter. 4.1, 5.1, 10.1 from the sound card are not my style, it is all synthetic, made up, not real. A3D is real (am I fuding, oops;)

January 7, 2003 12:25:14 PM

I have the SoundBlaster AUDIGY 2 (THX) and its flawless on my old motherboard (ECS k7s5a) - its sounds all okey under win2000 and its giving me wounderfull sounds in games , still Im only using 2 speakers but later on I will get me a TOS link optical cable to conect to my 5.1 AMP - that will be even better sounds from it then, I can only say that I warmly recomend it to you.

LED`s --> http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/
7 volt--> http://www.7volts.com
NoFans--> http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/default.asp
CPUcooling-> http://3rotor.homelinux.com
January 8, 2003 8:41:14 PM

Finnaly got to take a look at that DSP300 M-Port combo. That's some real nice equipment. Any idea what the retail is on that (I'm imagine at least $1200US)

Jarrett

January 9, 2003 9:36:10 AM

I've seen it for about $1,250 - though living in England, I tend to look for it in £... (Seen it for £685 over here - with free postage). Unfortunately, I need to get a system sorted out that I can plug it into first...:-/ (I need my dad to take me to a few places that I can't get to otherwise...:-( (Plus I'd like my dad along anyway - he's a musician too...:-) ). (Added to the fact that getting a ATI Radeon 9500PRO is probably quite hard over here atm).

January 9, 2003 8:41:20 PM

Sounds about right. I tried to google to the vendors but all I found were European vendors. I'm not sure if it's available in the US yet, though I haven't checked Sweetwater Sound (high-ennd US retailer). The only thing that I'd like to see with it is an option to buy more of the pci interface cards so I can use the rack on more than one PC without swapping the card. I have a main workstation and I'm building a mobil workstation for live gigs. I opted for the Mark of the Unicorn 828 firewire and the Mark of the Unicorn MicroExpress USB (4in/6out MIDI) so I could easily swap between the two systems.

What are you looking at for a system?

Jarrett

January 10, 2003 4:29:18 PM

The system I am thinking about getting - (though I'm planning to have a word with some people who KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING first...) - is a bit of a hybrid really, a semi-DAW / HTS that should be able to play games aswell - (I'm planning to write music for games / film hopefully, and I'll need play this stuff on it too...). The problem (as always), is compromise...:-/ My other problem, is that I don't like windows XP...:-/ (Which unfortunately most music stuff is moving too...). I just hope the PC I want is possible...:-/ Either way, it won't be a system I can buy in a box, lol. It's only for a home studio though, (since I can't get the mixing desk my friend has - a Yamaha desk with built in MD recorder...:-) ). I'm probably going to output the sound through the hi-fi I'm getting - (probably a decent NAD system - (have a friend who runs a local (good) hi-fi shop)), since it'll cut down the number of speakers needed - (I'll have a card (M-audio revolution 7.1 (eventually)) for surround sound too) - and make it possible to have easy recordings to tape...:-)

The problem with the DSP24 card, is that it can only be used with a rack-mount - (no converters on the card), which is why it's the only way to get one...:-/ Don't know if the DSP24 MKII can use the rack-mounts though...

January 10, 2003 8:47:23 PM

I hear you completely. I built my system with DAW firmly in front. I wasn't concerned with gaming, so it gave me a few extra options, like not using another sound card and not needing a top-end AGP card (got the Matrox G550 for dual monitors). I wound up getting the ASUS A7V333 because of the RAID and Firewire support.

Rack mount isn't really a bad thing, but there are other audio cards that use a break-out box that will sit on the desk. If you look into those, look for ones with the ADACs in the breakout box. You'll get a better quality recording as opposed to one with the ADACs on the pci card.

Also, Yamaha has a mixer that can interface digitally with a PC using an optional card using their proprietary bus. The mixer can still be used as a stand-alone digital mixer, or used with the card for 16-track DAW (8-anolog in/out, 8 digital). I've seen the whole package (mixer, card, and software) listed around $750US.

Jarrett

January 10, 2003 9:00:54 PM

On this moment i have a soundblaster live platinum 5.1, but if i would have enough cash right now i would take one of terratec's semi high end cards with good MIDI support and a digital SPDIF out, and buy an external D/A convertor to put it on my stereo... i'm also musician and also a very hi-fi fanatic and meloman (i guess internet, pc's and hi-fi goes well together) as my pc is also connected on my stereo (a Meridian dual mono amp) and a tube pre-amp, and those are powering a self built speaker system by one of my best friends. it's just stereo, but when you compose music it's all what's needed :wink:

i heard that the diamond monstersound had a good price/quality ratio, and that it's a very good card for it's price, but i did not really read the whole stuff, as i wasn't really looking after that component right now. Maybe when cash will be again available, i would explore it more in-depth.. :smile:

<font color=purple><i> Enosi and I.... </i></font color=purple>
January 11, 2003 2:17:08 AM

Mmmm, he said "TUBE PREAMP". :tongue: I almost want to get one of those Abit P4 mobos or wait for the Hammer mobo just because there's tubes on them.

Jarrett

January 11, 2003 10:46:19 AM

I hear you about not getting a card with the ADACS on-board... All the reviews I've seen of the DSP24 MKII seem to show it has problems because of that...:-/

The other reason I prefer a rack-mount, is so that if I get any more - (i.e. effects boxes etc.) I can stick them all together in the same rack...:-) (And tidy things up a bit).

I've got my sights firmly on the St-Audio DSP24 w/ DSP3000 M-Port... (It seems to be the best system available for the price atm... Without any compromises). (I expecially like it's connectivity and expandability). As to a mixer, I'll see how it goes, but I have friends who can help in that department...:-)

I just hope both of my sound cards don't comflict, lol... (I need surround sound - I'd like to learn how to mix stuff for it...:-) ).

Darren

January 19, 2003 12:23:07 AM

So far it has been the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Mainly because it runs every game under the sun. For a few you need to disable direct sound, but they provide easy access to this feature in their software. Sound is crisp and clear and good 3-D locating in games.

I have had nothing but bad luck with Creative Labs. Two cards. SB Live Gamer and Audigy 2. Blue screen stuff. Tried the Audigy 2 on XP and ME running Morrowind. Crashes every 3 minutes. Could be a conflict with Intel's Application Accelerator on the D850EMV2. Anyway, too buggy, no way to fix it.
January 19, 2003 5:07:32 AM

What motherboard are you using with it?
I went through the same things for a very long time and my problem was VIA chipsets. But I not only have always had problems with creative sound cards but quite a bit of other devices such as even USB devices!

I bought an nforce2 and wow, not only is my entire computer faster (including hard drive transfers and general snappiness) but its entirely stable, had this system up constantly for 1 week now.

PCI devices include a hauppauge wintv tuner, SB Audigy 1oem, linksys nic, gf3 (agp), and 3com 56k gaming modem. i put everything on the board, installed windows, never had a single crash yet.. amazing.

If you are using VIA, its time to go with nvidia is you use amd. I've never heard a complaint from intel crowd with audigys and mine works great with it.

Point being, my via based boards had problems with other pci devices also (tv tuner would crash, large ide transfers would crash the system, other large ide transfers like cd burning would crash the system), so it wasnt creatives fault IMHO.. and who wants a mobo that doesnt properly support all pci devices on the market?

And EAX3 under Unreal Tournament 2003 is stunning, and you cant get that with any other sound card.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s
January 24, 2003 1:09:36 PM

Still going strong with my

Hercules GTXP 6.1

Supports all but EAX3.0 and its by far and away the most pleasant to listen to on high end speakers and headphones both from what i've found.

Serious gamers dont need EAX 3.0; it all depends on which aspect of sound is the most important to you. Some people get their kicks from reverb effects, great, more power to you, have fun. Personally, i play games and listen to Tim Janis or Hans Zimmer perform instead of the cheesy game music=) For that kind of thing, the GTXP excells=)

The Turtle Beach Montego used to be my favorite but unfortunately driver support fell through the cracks when Creative did a hostile takeover of Aureal.

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.
January 28, 2003 12:37:59 AM

Ive been useing Creative Labs cards for 14 years..Starting from my DX2 66 systom...Right up to my Overcloked 1.2,and a Audigy Gamer,with a Inspire 5700 5.1 sound systom.Ive never had any problems..Well maybe 1..Stupid SBlive Platinum card.Now that was junk........
!