RAID on Asus P4PE

PSULion

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
I have the Asus P4PE which has a promise RAID controller in addition to the primary and seondary IDE controllers. I am new to RAID and after reading the RAID faq I am still a little confused. First off I am primarily a gamer so i do't need to have a RAID array (I hear it slows down gaming). The asus manual says the promise controller drive connected to the PRI_RAID1 connector wiill follow the ATA133/100/66/33 protocol as an independent drive not a disk array" but only as a master. I think this means if I connect my boot drive (which is ATA133) to the RAID1 controller it will show up as a regular drive. If this is true what happens to my other drives. For example I have 3 partitions on my primary HDD(C,E,F) and 2 on my secondary slave (D,G). I have programs already installed on several of the partitions and may get an additional HDD because I do video editing as well. If it works and i move my primary HDD to the promise controller and then install a 3rd drive will I need to reinstall anything?

thanks and merry christmas

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PSULion on 12/25/02 09:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
The only thing you need to install is the drivers for the controller, providied you haven't done that already. As long as you don't create a RAID array, you should be able to use the Promise controller as if it was any other IDE controller and access the hard drives independently.

Jarrett